Old November 27th 05, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default The "newcomer quotient" --- a serious policy question

an old friend wrote:
KØHB wrote:
N0IMD wrote

I passed my Novice exam in November 1986 and I'm still considered a
newcomer by your OF buddies here.

You're not even eligible for QCAO membership! BSEG

which ever gruop they are

but the caste syetm is one of the problemds with the ARS, and why what
ever the cost to our techial standard favor a one class liencense and
nothing in the acceable database to tell how long you have been
liencesed etc

And you ask what might be wrong with the ARS?

One ARS, one amateur radio license. Get rid of the class system.

Old November 27th 05, 04:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KØHB

"an old friend" wrote

You're not even eligible for QCAO membership! BSEG

which ever gruop they are

The QCAO (Quarter Century Appliance Operators) was founded
in the early 1950's by a small group of Amateur Radio operators
from the Pacific Northwest. They had been active in their hobby
for over 25 years, yet still lacked the basic knowledge of radio
electronics and had no idea of how their equipment worked.

They banded together to try and protect each others honor
and pride. At radio gatherings and club meetings in the 1950s
one was considered unworthy of the name Ham Radio Operator if
he or she couldn't not only name components, but know how to
solder them together and make a radio work, or fix a broken set!

When faced with insults and dreision, those few hardy
pioneers banded together and formed the First Chapter and
National Organization of the QCAO. This was known as the "Cold
Solder" Chapter. They even coined the now-famous club byword
"e pluribus ignoramae" which is Latin for "We don't have to know
how to solder, we just wanna talk on our radios."

No veterans of that first chapter are known to be active on
the air today. In the late 1950s and early '60s, with the
worldwide interest in science and space and technology, the QCAO
membership went underground.

It is with great pride and dignity that today in the 21st Century
the revived QCAO stands ready to rise from the ashes, and become
the standard of mediocrity it once proudly was. In honor of
those first pioneering members, QCAO hereby invites all eligible
applicants to step forward and join!

The benefits of QCAO include not only the pride of
membership. Think of the warm glow you will feel at club
meetings and gatherings showing off your new all-plastic
imprinted QCAO pocket protector! And that's not all! For your
minimal membership fee, you will also receive a handsome,
suitable-for-framing, certificate of honor, with hand-lettered
name and Charter Membership Number. Other QCAO memorabilia
will soon be available for members, including T-shirts, caps,
pins, etc. At this date charter membership numbers are still
available. Membership requires a 25 years (more or less)
interest in Amateur Radio, coupled with a basic ignorance of how
radios work and how to repair them.

Think of meeting other QCAO members on the air! No more
embarrassing pauses when someone in the QSO mentions an RF choke
or a parasitic bleeder...Be able to exchange meaningful sharing,
talk about real things, yes, even swap QCAO numbers with each
other! And soon perhaps . . . a worldwide QCAO contest!

You no longer have to shrink to the back of the room at post-
meeting sessions of your radio club. Just display your QCAO
protector and others will be able to identify you immediately.
Who knows? Perhaps one of the originals from that old QCAO
Chapter is just waiting for you to find him. Join now! Remember
"We don't have to know how to solder, we just wanna talk on our
radios"! Don't let technoids embarrass you and kick jargon in
your face. Stand up for what's right! Join QCAO!

"e pluribus ignoramae"

Old November 27th 05, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Kim

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"an old friend" wrote

You're not even eligible for QCAO membership! BSEG

which ever gruop they are

OK, this is an interesting thread and this is a good post to join in on.

The QCAO (Quarter Century Appliance Operators) was founded
in the early 1950's by a small group of Amateur Radio operators
from the Pacific Northwest. They had been active in their hobby
for over 25 years, yet still lacked the basic knowledge of radio
electronics and had no idea of how their equipment worked.

You speak for their mission, but is that what members of this organization
would say of themselves? And did they even know that when they turned the
radio on it was electrical energy that was helping it work--or did they even
lack that knowledge of how their equipment worked? How deep was their
ignorance and, at what point would one say they were "worthy" of being
called an amateur radio operator (even though it seems that merely to be
licensed by the FCC deems one as an amateur radio operator).

They banded together to try and protect each others honor
and pride.

What honor and pride? Are you saying they "bought into" that whole concept,
or did they actually exclude themselves as honorable amateur radio operators
simply because of what others may have thought of them?

At radio gatherings and club meetings in the 1950s
one was considered unworthy of the name Ham Radio Operator if
he or she couldn't not only name components, but know how to
solder them together and make a radio work, or fix a broken set!

Ah. It seems you've answered some of the first questions I had. However,
why are you limiting this sentiment to the 1950s? This sentiment exists
today in amateur radio.

When faced with insults and dreision, those few hardy
pioneers banded together and formed the First Chapter and
National Organization of the QCAO. This was known as the "Cold
Solder" Chapter. They even coined the now-famous club byword
"e pluribus ignoramae" which is Latin for "We don't have to know
how to solder, we just wanna talk on our radios."

Good for them. It sounds like a great opportunity to respectfully dig back
at any attempts from others to say one is disqualified even if they have met
the requirements of the licensing system.

No veterans of that first chapter are known to be active on
the air today. In the late 1950s and early '60s, with the
worldwide interest in science and space and technology, the QCAO
membership went underground.

One of my points exactly. If someone really is such an awful amateur radio
operator, they'll disappear from the airwaves soon enough (well, myself
excluded ).

It is with great pride and dignity that today in the 21st Century
the revived QCAO stands ready to rise from the ashes, and become
the standard of mediocrity it once proudly was. In honor of
those first pioneering members, QCAO hereby invites all eligible
applicants to step forward and join!

Are you a member of this newly grouped organization?

The benefits of QCAO include not only the pride of
membership. Think of the warm glow you will feel at club
meetings and gatherings showing off your new all-plastic
imprinted QCAO pocket protector! And that's not all! For your
minimal membership fee, you will also receive a handsome,
suitable-for-framing, certificate of honor, with hand-lettered
name and Charter Membership Number. Other QCAO memorabilia
will soon be available for members, including T-shirts, caps,
pins, etc. At this date charter membership numbers are still
available. Membership requires a 25 years (more or less)
interest in Amateur Radio, coupled with a basic ignorance of how
radios work and how to repair them.

Sounds like most of the amateur radio club organizations I've been witness
to over the years. A few who know "a lot" about radios (if even they are so
expert at it that they find it too far beneath them to join in the community
of amateur radio and do some public service, etc.); with the rest of the
membership being those who may not know all that much about radio but of
whom many are quite willing to learn from the best, and of whom many become
the support structure for the local amateur radio community and emergency
services.

Think of meeting other QCAO members on the air! No more
embarrassing pauses when someone in the QSO mentions an RF choke
or a parasitic bleeder...Be able to exchange meaningful sharing,
talk about real things, yes, even swap QCAO numbers with each
other! And soon perhaps . . . a worldwide QCAO contest!

Wow, ya mean no more pauses as others try to figure out the relevance of why
someone just butted into the QSO with that kind of chatter? Cool.

You no longer have to shrink to the back of the room at post-
meeting sessions of your radio club. Just display your QCAO
protector and others will be able to identify you immediately.
Who knows? Perhaps one of the originals from that old QCAO
Chapter is just waiting for you to find him. Join now! Remember
"We don't have to know how to solder, we just wanna talk on our
radios"! Don't let technoids embarrass you and kick jargon in
your face. Stand up for what's right! Join QCAO!

"e pluribus ignoramae"

I've found that most of those who are labeled "appliance operators" at club
gatherings already know each other real well because they are the most
involved in the amateur community. And, while the solderers have been busy
yakking and impressing each other with all that stuff (truly important for
the heritage, yes, but not necessary knowledge in today's world), those
"appliance operators" have researched the internet for the best of the best,
have saved their money up and equipped themselves for most emergency
situations and are ready for public service with the touch of a few buttons
and the attachment of a few connections. YMMV.

Kim W5TIT

Old November 27th 05, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KØHB

"Kim" wrote in message
"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"an old friend" wrote

You're not even eligible for QCAO membership! BSEG

which ever gruop they are

OK, this is an interesting thread and this is a good post to join in on.

Sorry, Kim, but I should have prefaced that QCAO post with this disclaimer:

[warning]
Humor-Impaired Induhviduals should depress the Next button now.
Management will not be responsible for mental trauma suffered by those
of Thin Skin who read the following humorous exaggeration of the
valued but non-technical members of our Amateur Radio Service who
"serve in other ways".
[/warning]

Old November 27th 05, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

KØHB wrote:
"Kim" wrote in message
"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"an old friend" wrote

You're not even eligible for QCAO membership! BSEG

which ever gruop they are

OK, this is an interesting thread and this is a good post to join in on.

Sorry, Kim, but I should have prefaced that QCAO post with this disclaimer:

[warning]
Humor-Impaired Induhviduals should depress the Next button now.
Management will not be responsible for mental trauma suffered by those
of Thin Skin who read the following humorous exaggeration of the
valued but non-technical members of our Amateur Radio Service who
"serve in other ways".
[/warning]

Are you a member of this newly grouped organization?

Member? Hans is no mere member, he is an Occifer of the Ogrenization.

Position? Public Information Occifer (PIO).

Old November 28th 05, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Kim

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Kim" wrote in message
"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"an old friend" wrote

----------------
Humor-Impaired Induhviduals should depress the Next button now.
Management will not be responsible for mental trauma suffered by those
of Thin Skin who read the following humorous exaggeration of the
valued but non-technical members of our Amateur Radio Service who
"serve in other ways".

----------------
[/warning]

That's all well and good, Hans. But, you brought up some important topics
within your post. Are you not willing to discuss them outside the realm of
"humor"? Others may be, hopefully. If not...come see come saw.

Kim W5TIT

Old November 28th 05, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KØHB

"Kim" wrote

You speak for their mission, but is that what members of this organization
would say of themselves?

There is no "mission". The group does not exist, except in the fertile
imagination of Danny "QRP is for Sissies" K7SS who first published this humor in
NCJ several years ago.

What honor and pride?

Honor and pride among non-existant fictional characters in non-existant.

Ah. It seems you've answered some of the first questions I had.

I've tried to.

One of my points exactly. If someone really is such an awful amateur radio
operator, they'll disappear from the airwaves soon enough

They didn't disappear. They never even existed.

Are you a member of this newly grouped organization?

The organization does not exist.

I've found that most of those who are labeled "appliance operators" at club
gatherings already know each other real well because they are the most
involved in the amateur community.

"involved in the amateur community" means what? Most of us are hobbiests,
loosely connected by common interests like contesting, DXing, experimenting,
repeater support clubs, public service interests, etc., etc. I derive great
enjoyment from my experimenting and contesting, and I have a half a wall of
"recognition" for various public service activities, but I don't consider myself
part of any "community" of amateur radio.

And, while the solderers have been busy
yakking and impressing each other with all that stuff (truly important for
the heritage, yes, but not necessary knowledge in today's world),

Are you suggesting that technical curiousity and experimentation is no longer
needed? That everything has already been invented, so no new knowledge in
electronics/radio communications is needed?

"appliance operators" have researched the internet for the best of the best,
have saved their money up and equipped themselves for most emergency
situations and are ready for public service with the touch of a few buttons
and the attachment of a few connections.

I disagree. There is a small and very valuable cadre of dedicated hams in ARES,
RACES, DMCS, AERO, SATERN, and similar public service/disaster recovery groups.
By and large they are above average in their technical qualifications, and they
take their roll very seriously.

Then there is a larger group of "fair weather volunteers" who are eager to grab
their handheld and rush to provide public service communications for the
marathon or the walkathon, but only so long as their 2 batteries hold up. They
impress each other by the number of T-shirts they've gotten from the local
chamber of commerce for these outings.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 28th 05, 11:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

KØHB wrote:

(asking about ways to attract newcomers to contesting):

Well, Hans, I'm not a newcomer, and I don't qualify for QCAO either.
But
here are some ideas from what I remember as a newcomer:

1) More entry classes for the "little guy". This has already been done
on FD,
and to a limited extent in SS. The problem is that the new-to-contests
ham with
a midlevel 100 W transceiver, paper logs and G5RV is in the same
category as
the big gun with multiple big beams, an IC-7800 and every automated
doodad
conceivable.

2) Put the results back in QST - all the results. First time my call
was in QST was
for SS scores. Why shouldn't the newcomers get the same thrill? Website
is
*NOT* the same thing.

3) Perhaps the check could be changed from "year of birth" to "number
of times
you've operated this contest", with a bonus for new folks. Oldtimers
couldn't adopt a low number because it would be easily detected. This
also helps the folks who may have held a license for years but who are
new to certain aspects of amateur radio.

4) More contests (!) but also more variety. The QRP folks do this with
their sprints,
and there used to be 4 CD parties a year. For example:

- A "mini-SS" in late summer that lasts only 6-12 hours and you can
work the same station on different bands
- Low-power (150 w max) contests
- Contest exchanges that include something that changes with each QSO.
For example,
you might have a list of 10-12 items like op's birthday, name, grid
square (on HF!)rig/key/mike/antenna/exact power in use, zip code, old
callsign, etc. One item from the list would be exchanged with each QSO,
and the item would change after each QSO. When the list ran out you'd
start it again. For a real challenge, require a couple of items in each
exchange.
- Single-band and couple-of-band contests to concentrate the action.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 29th 05, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Kim

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Kim" wrote

One of my points exactly. If someone really is such an awful amateur

radio
operator, they'll disappear from the airwaves soon enough

They didn't disappear. They never even existed.

Well...you're still referring in terms of the fictional group of people you
posted about. There is still the reality that "crappy" radio amateurs are
generally ignored or otherwise discouraged from on-the-air participation,
etc. So, after some time, they'll usually "disappear." That's why CW/or no
CW requirement (if CW was ever used as a filtering mechanism as some
claimed), the filtering mechanism is other radio amateurs.

I've found that most of those who are labeled "appliance operators" at

club
gatherings already know each other real well because they are the most
involved in the amateur community.

"involved in the amateur community" means what? Most of us are hobbiests,
loosely connected by common interests like contesting, DXing,

experimenting,
repeater support clubs, public service interests, etc., etc. I derive

great
enjoyment from my experimenting and contesting, and I have a half a wall

of
"recognition" for various public service activities, but I don't consider

myself
part of any "community" of amateur radio.

I would define amateur community as the whole population of all amateurs.
You may not consider yourself a part of the whole, but you are (to me).

And, while the solderers have been busy
yakking and impressing each other with all that stuff (truly important

for
the heritage, yes, but not necessary knowledge in today's world),

Are you suggesting that technical curiousity and experimentation is no

longer
needed? That everything has already been invented, so no new knowledge in
electronics/radio communications is needed?

Absolutely not! I would think you know me better than that. You are either
completely ignoring or completely missed the open paren/close paren part of
my response. What is intended in that is that, some-not-all, grumpy old
amateurs choose to spread the word that "all that stuff" is still as
necessary as ever for radio operation. Which, IMNSHO, is untrue. One can
walk into any store and pick up a radio and have it working inside of a few
minutes these days. And, hallelujah for that. The "stuff" of amateur radio
is still very, very important for a lot of reasons; not the least of which
would be the heritage quotient, experimentation as you've so aptly pointed
out, and for the real nitty-gritty science of the art of amateur radio. I
DO, however, choose to recognize that there are those amateurs who just
plain aren't interested in that aspect. And, I don't call them any less an
amateur.

"appliance operators" have researched the internet for the best of the

best,
have saved their money up and equipped themselves for most emergency
situations and are ready for public service with the touch of a few

buttons
and the attachment of a few connections.

I disagree. There is a small and very valuable cadre of dedicated hams in

ARES,
RACES, DMCS, AERO, SATERN, and similar public service/disaster recovery

groups.
By and large they are above average in their technical qualifications, and

they
take their roll very seriously.

MMmm, I would choose to disagree with your belief, and it would be
interesting to find out which of us is closer to the truth on the matter.
Oh wait! You said "small." OK, I'll go along with that. BUT, wouldn't you
also give that others involved in public service take their role very
seriously as well? I mean, really. I know some folks who've spent
thousands on being prepared and being able to fully serve; and I know the
"small" group you refer to. Do we place more value on the amount of money
one has spent on preparedness or how "above average" they are in technical
qualifications? I think that each in their own right are just as
valuable--given that the propensity to volunteer is equitable.

Then there is a larger group of "fair weather volunteers" who are eager to

grab
their handheld and rush to provide public service communications for the
marathon or the walkathon, but only so long as their 2 batteries hold up.

They
impress each other by the number of T-shirts they've gotten from the local
chamber of commerce for these outings.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Absolutely. I agree totally with that.

Kim W5TIT