Old June 20th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default What is the purpose of beginners' licences?

On 20 Jun 2006 04:00:57 -0700, "The Conscience"
wrote:

What is the purpose of beginners' licences?

Ham Radio is a technical pursuit of which I as a CBer of
many years knew very little until recently. But as I
understand it, it is distinct from "CB Radio"
Speaking as somone who buys all of my rigs off-the-shelf,
and send them back to the shop if ever needing repair.
I have tried repairing my own rigs, but each time have
only made things worse.

Radio Hams are qualified to build and operate their
own equipment, and I wish I was too. But that
(admittedly rudimentary) qualification is needed and
it is way beyond my capabilities. However, that
qualification is easily passed by otherwise-unqualified
self-taught 14-year-olds who have the right motivation
for so long lacking in me.

As such 14-year-olds have shown themselves for years
able to pass the exam at that level, what need has their
ever been to reduce the standard below that of the
mental age of a 14-year-old?

What need therefore, to introduce examinations that
not only can 14-year-olds pass after two days tuition,
but that intellectually-challenged abusive social
misfits of adult years such as myself, are capable
of passing? The tests must be made so that all
14-year-olds can pass them.

Some may have noticed my frequent references
to 14-year-olds in this post and thought I was somewhat
obsessed by them. I'm well into my 50s and have to
admit I am obsessive.

Yankland had a Novice Licence for some years, and
I thought it had now been discontinued, but find it
hasn't. Which is good, we need more 14-year-olds
on the bands, I support having 14-year-olds
anywhere in the world.

In Britland, the M3 Foundation Licence scheme has
allowed me to finally achieve my lifelong ambition of
getting a callsign, It has also meant I can talk to
14-year-olds and younger, wherever and whenever
I feel the urge, and those people must not be put off.

It is time for self-respecting _REAL_ Radio Hams
all over the world to petition their respective
governments to have these foundation licences
introduced, so that there are more 14-year-olds
and younger, out there for grown man like me, to
tak to! What grown man wouldn't want the pleasure
of talking to 14-year-olds? None at all!

If 14-year-olds can do it, then anybody sufficiently
well motivated to be a Radio Ham can do it.

If nothing else, the gratuitously insulting and
grossly offensive posts to these NG by those who
hold full licences (Including, most disgracefully,
some with criminal convictions), might stop.

Two truthful postings in one morning beanie.
Are you sure you are feeling well ?
Old June 20th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc
The GUV

wrote:

Two truthful postings in one morning beanie.
Are you sure you are feeling well ?

Please don't repost that lunatics drivel

Andy MW0GUV

Old June 20th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Gordon Hudson

wrote in message

As such 14-year-olds have shown themselves for years
able to pass the exam at that level, what need has their
ever been to reduce the standard below that of the
mental age of a 14-year-old?

I passed it at 14 but I would have done it at 12 if licences had been
available to 12 year olds.
The 14 year limit was nonsensical as all other restricted activities are 16
or 18 AFAIK.

Old June 20th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

on 20/06/2006 14:22 The Conscience said the following:
It is, or was, a balance between the need to ensure
sufficiently mature behaviour but without stifling creativity.

It certainly didn't work in YOUR case.