Old July 12th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that persondie?

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dave wrote:

David G. Nagel wrote:

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

Yep!! It happened once!

If CW had not existed at the time, how would things have
turned out differently? If the present GPS-based system
had existed at the time, how would things have turned out?
Which system is presently inferior and virtually obsolete?

C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW. Does
that mean we're virtually obsolete?

RE Titanic:

The same result would have happened. The ship hit an iceberg in poor visibility.
I don't think icebergs carry GPS transponders these days.

Now, the Titanic's GPS; does it have transponder capability? The older GPS units
do not. Anyway, after the crew slipped by the iceberg that ripped it open, the
radio op gets on the air and reports "SOS" or equivalent. The nearest ships
respond. Under conditions similar to 1914{?} the Titanic still sinks. Many
people still die. But, now we know to 20 feet exactly where the ship was when it
sank.

GPS won't make a difference. Neither will CW today.

I still enjoy CW.

Old July 12th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Dave wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW. Does
that mean we're virtually obsolete?

not what make CW obseltete is that is out dated and all bu useless
serious comms

GPS won't make a difference. Neither will CW today.

meaning in light of the trolig title is useless

I still enjoy CW.

more power to you

Old July 13th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

:-(

PLONK!

tom
K0TAR
Old July 13th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Old July 13th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Old July 13th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

(Dirk) wrote in :

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

The person would not die on my watch, as long as I could get a signal out
and someone on the other end could copy it. I'd probably have to practice
a bit to get back up over 50wpm, but I can do 25 or 30 all day long.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667
Old July 13th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Dave wrote:
C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW.
Does that mean we're virtually obsolete?

My favorite mode is CW and it's a fun mode but it is never
going to save the world.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 13th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Dirk wrote:
Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

:-(

It all depends on the person requesting help. Some people, I would
probably just let drown... Like clowns that troll antenna newsgroups
with silly crap about CW. I bet I could save a lot more lives per
minute
using CW than you could. Wanna race? If you insist.. At that price I
can't resist...
MK

Old July 13th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:47:18 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

If CW had not existed at the time, how would things have
turned out differently? If the present GPS-based system
had existed at the time, how would things have turned out?

Since The radio operator of the Titanic knew exactly where they were,
GPS would have made absolutely no difference. If radio hadn't
existed, everyone aboard would have died.
Old July 13th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Al Klein wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
If CW had not existed at the time, how would things have
turned out differently? If the present GPS-based system
had existed at the time, how would things have turned out?

Since The radio operator of the Titanic knew exactly where they were,
GPS would have made absolutely no difference. If radio hadn't
existed, everyone aboard would have died.

I'm talking about the emergency GPS-based system now in
operation. Other ships are automatically notified of
emergencies and given headings for reaching the emergency
location. If the Titanic and California had been so equipped,
the California could probably have gotten there before the
Titanic sank. The GPS-based emergency system doesn't go to
sleep like the California's CW operator did. I believe the
California also ignored a flare from the Titanic thinking
it was just part of the maiden voyage celebration.

If radio had not existed, the next passing ship would have
rescued any survivors. That's the way it was for centuries
before the invention of radio. There were often survivors
in lifeboats waiting to be picked up in the shipping lanes.
Well-equipped lifeboats could survive for weeks in calm
waters as did the ejected sailors of "Bounty" fame.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp