RadioBanter

-   Radio Photos (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/)
-   -   wierd reostat (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/122003-wierd-reostat.html)

Ken G. June 8th 07 12:56 AM

wierd reostat

Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Uncle Peter June 8th 07 01:19 AM

wierd reostat

"Ken G." wrote in message
Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Looks like a variable inductor tuned by a brass vane.

Ron in Radio Heaven June 8th 07 01:24 AM

wierd reostat

Ken G. wrote:
Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Very COOL.

Ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/

Ken G. June 8th 07 01:41 AM

wierd reostat

That is probably the correct description
Its in an early Freshman AC console .

Lou D June 8th 07 01:52 AM

wierd reostat

Ken G. wrote:
Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Are you sure it's a rheostat? Could it be a variable inductor?

Brenda Ann June 8th 07 01:59 PM

wierd reostat

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message

"Ken G." wrote in message
Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Looks like a variable inductor tuned by a brass vane.

Variable tapped coil, rather than tuned. I've built crystal sets when I was
a kid that used a very crude form of this, with a fixed cap across it made
from wax paper and aluminum foil, and a slider made of brass that was
screwed onto a board and just scraped across the coil's windings to tune the
stations.

Randy or Sherry Guttery June 8th 07 02:57 PM

wierd reostat

Brenda Ann wrote:

Variable tapped coil, rather than tuned. I've built crystal sets when I was
a kid that used a very crude form of this, with a fixed cap across it made
from wax paper and aluminum foil, and a slider made of brass that was
screwed onto a board and just scraped across the coil's windings to tune the
stations.

Wound on a Quaker Oats box (can?) by chance?

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com

Brenda Ann June 8th 07 09:58 PM

wierd reostat

Brenda Ann wrote:

Variable tapped coil, rather than tuned. I've built crystal sets when I
was a kid that used a very crude form of this, with a fixed cap across
it made from wax paper and aluminum foil, and a slider made of brass
that was screwed onto a board and just scraped across the coil's
windings to tune the stations.

Wound on a Quaker Oats box (can?) by chance?

toilet paper roll!

Yep. Back then toilet paper rolls were a lot tougher (and we still shellaced
them).

Uncle Peter June 9th 07 04:17 AM

wierd reostat

"Ken G." wrote in message
That is probably the correct description
Its in an early Freshman AC console .

Kinda hard to tell from the crappy photo. Does the vane make contact with
the coil,
or just go near it?