Old June 8th 07, 12:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default wierd reostat

Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Old June 8th 07, 01:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken G." wrote in message
Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Looks like a variable inductor tuned by a brass vane.

Old June 8th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Ken G. wrote:
Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Very COOL.

Ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/
Old June 8th 07, 01:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

That is probably the correct description
Its in an early Freshman AC console .

Old June 8th 07, 01:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Ken G. wrote:
Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Are you sure it's a rheostat? Could it be a variable inductor?

Old June 8th 07, 01:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message

"Ken G." wrote in message
Goofy style here . never seen one till this

Looks like a variable inductor tuned by a brass vane.

Variable tapped coil, rather than tuned. I've built crystal sets when I was
a kid that used a very crude form of this, with a fixed cap across it made
from wax paper and aluminum foil, and a slider made of brass that was
screwed onto a board and just scraped across the coil's windings to tune the
stations.

Old June 8th 07, 02:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Brenda Ann wrote:

Variable tapped coil, rather than tuned. I've built crystal sets when I was
a kid that used a very crude form of this, with a fixed cap across it made
from wax paper and aluminum foil, and a slider made of brass that was
screwed onto a board and just scraped across the coil's windings to tune the
stations.

Wound on a Quaker Oats box (can?) by chance?

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com

Old June 8th 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Brenda Ann wrote:

Variable tapped coil, rather than tuned. I've built crystal sets when I
was a kid that used a very crude form of this, with a fixed cap across
it made from wax paper and aluminum foil, and a slider made of brass
that was screwed onto a board and just scraped across the coil's
windings to tune the stations.

Wound on a Quaker Oats box (can?) by chance?

toilet paper roll!

Yep. Back then toilet paper rolls were a lot tougher (and we still shellaced
them).

Old June 9th 07, 04:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken G." wrote in message
That is probably the correct description
Its in an early Freshman AC console .

Kinda hard to tell from the crappy photo. Does the vane make contact with
the coil,
or just go near it?

OK, now THIS is wierd..... Ken Bessler Antenna 7 January 23rd 05 03:43 AM
Yet another wierd noise Honus Shortwave 0 October 7th 04 04:34 AM
Wierd noises on 4810 Honus Shortwave 1 September 21st 04 02:24 AM
Wierd RFI Pete Holden Antenna 9 February 16th 04 12:53 AM
Grounding question - this is wierd..... John Passaneau Antenna 17 August 31st 03 06:42 AM