Old June 24th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Victor portable stereopticon

Anyone know about this ? i checked ebay for any and found none accept
the old wood ones . This one is electric & pat. dates of 1913 & 1914 .
Cant say i ever seen one before .

Looks like that thing that landed on Gilligans island

Old June 24th 07, 06:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken G." wrote in message
Anyone know about this ? i checked ebay for any and found none accept
the old wood ones . This one is electric & pat. dates of 1913 & 1914 .
Cant say i ever seen one before .

Looks like that thing that landed on Gilligans island

Looks like my grandpa's slide projector, aka "magic lantern"

Regards,
Tom

Old June 24th 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

It's definitely a slide projector, but not a stereopticon. The two slots
permit seemless switching between slides -- not 3D projection.

Old June 24th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

It's definitely a slide projector, but not a stereopticon. The two slots
permit seemless switching between slides -- not 3D projection.

Uh... seamless.

Old June 24th 07, 11:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Hardly seamless. It would just show slides as a series, sliding back and
forth and changing the one out of the gate. Seamless is more a 'dissolve'
between images.

Neil S.

. ..

Old June 25th 07, 02:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

I dont know how clear this picture is to PC`s but it says its a
``stereopticon``

Old June 25th 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Ken G. wrote:
I dont know how clear this picture is to PC`s but it says its a
``stereopticon``

The sound of people chewing leather is delightful!
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com
Old June 25th 07, 05:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

You lost me there Randy/Sherry .

Old June 25th 07, 12:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

I dont know how clear this picture is to PC`s
but it says its a ``stereopticon``

The sound of people chewing leather is delightful!

I never said I would eat my shoe if it weren't a stereopticon!

Despite the label, it's not a stereopticon, any more than putting a "fruit
bat" label on a hog makes it a fruit bat.

Then again... I just got the OED on CD, so I decided to look up
"stereopticon". It says...

"A double magic lantern arranged to combine two images of the same object or
scene upon a screen, so as to produce the appearance of solidity as in a
stereoscope; also used to cause the image of one object or scene to pass
gradually into that of another with dissolving effect."

So this might very well be a stereopticon -- or at least half of one. How
the dissolving effect would have been achieved was not clear. (Nor is it
clear -- other than the use of colored filters on the projector and over the
viewers eyes, how a 3D image would have been viewed. Polaroid wasn't
invented until the 1930s.)

I looked up "stereoscope" and discovered this...

"An instrument for obtaining, from two pictures (usually photographs) of an
object, taken from slightly different points of view (corresponding to the
positions of the two eyes), a single image giving the impression of solidity
or relief, as in ordinary vision of the object itself.

"In the original form of the instrument (name="1"reflecting stereoscope),
invented by Wheatstone, the images were combined by means of mirrors placed
at a suitable angle; the common form (name="2"refracting or
name="3"lenticular stereoscope), invented afterwards by Brewster, has two
tubes each containing a lens, through which the two pictures are viewed by
the corresponding eyes."

I (and I think most people) had called stereoscopes "stereopticons". Hence
my confusion. You learn something new every day.