Old July 8th 07, 08:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default FM One tube transmitter

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
Despite the rather senseless carping (c'mon boys, cut the crap!), this is
cool! Thanks for posting it!

I agree. An interesting post. And now for my usual dumb questions :-)

1. Have you built one (or more) and if so, could we see a photo?

2. What do you mean by "star grounding technique?"

Phil Nelson

Star grounding is a VHF/UHF grounding technique. VHF and higher have to
have VERY short lead dress, including grounding. Star grounding is basically
taking the grounds from each pin that requires a ground or a bypass to the
closest point possible on the chassis. This makes the socket and
grounds/bypasses resemble a star.

Old July 8th 07, 02:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Uncle Peter wrote:
Nicely done. I like the dual varactor arrangement, which should have
a lot of advantages over a single diode. All in all, simple and
elegant!

Pete

If I'm reading correctly, the "varactor" is a pair of plain old
rectifier diodes! I never would have thought of using power diodes for
this application. I guess I thought there would have been way too much
capacitance to be able to reasonably resonate them at 100 MHz. Good stuff!

Bill
Old July 8th 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

If I'm reading correctly, the "varactor" is a pair of plain old
rectifier diodes! I never would have thought of using power
diodes for this application. I guess I thought there would
have been way too much capacitance to be able to reasonably
resonate them at 100 MHz. Good stuff!

About 45 years ago, Popular Electronics had a construction project for an
FM-band transmitter. It used a reverse-biased silicon rectifier to modulate
the carrier.

I assume two back-to-back diodes increases the linearity of the modulation.

Old July 8th 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:18:15 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
m...
Despite the rather senseless carping (c'mon boys, cut the crap!), this is
cool! Thanks for posting it!

I agree. An interesting post. And now for my usual dumb questions :-)

1. Have you built one (or more) and if so, could we see a photo?

2. What do you mean by "star grounding technique?"

Phil Nelson

Star grounding is a VHF/UHF grounding technique. VHF and higher have to
have VERY short lead dress, including grounding. Star grounding is basically
taking the grounds from each pin that requires a ground or a bypass to the
closest point possible on the chassis. This makes the socket and
grounds/bypasses resemble a star.

At the audio manufacturer where I worked, star grounding meant to take
all grounds to a single point on the chassis, thus having ground wires
radiate like the points on a star. This avoided ground currents
flowing through the chassis.
Brian McAllister

Sarasota, Florida

email bkm at oldtech dot net
Old July 8th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

wrote:

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
om...
[...]

That's interesting, and makes sense for audio certainly, but would not be
feasible at 100 MHz, as it would create lead lengths that would be a
significant inductance at that frequency.

Old July 8th 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Brian is using the term correctly, but Star grounds are not used in RF
equipment.
See link below. The shortest path to ground should be used.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/glossary/ind...Tm/Star_Ground
--
Tom Mills