Old October 7th 07, 06:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default 38-9 d

Old October 8th 07, 12:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

In article Xo_Ni.1198$d2.756@trnddc08,
"Paul P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote:

begin 666 38_9t rear.JPG

Nice job, Paul.
Old October 8th 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Great job! Sweet radio.
Russ

"Paul P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote in message

Old October 8th 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"998cc" wrote in message
t...
Great job! Sweet radio.
Russ

Thanks for al the kind words. I found the original Bezel opening and put
that on. I also changed the two odd knobs last night. I was pulling in
stations from around the world last night. This radio is sensitive to
antenna length. The higher the frequency the shorter the wire. The SW band
is really broad and wire length is significant.

Hagster mentioned the bottom trim is a little darker in his reference
manual. I can clean off the wax and darken it with toning lacquer in the
spray can.

QUESTION - The transformer is running hot. Is this normal for this model?
It hurts to grab and hold the power transformer.

Paul P

Old October 8th 07, 06:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Paul, that is definitely not 'normal'. I would suggest you pull the
rectifier and run it for a while and see if it still gets really hot. If so,
that indicates a faulty transformer. If it stays cool with only the filament
lineup. Are you sure the bias circuit for the AF output tube is working
correctly? Sometimes when electrolytics get changed, a bias circuit off the
B+ centre tap gets shorted out in error, and the AF output tube draws
excessive current. Not suggesting you made the mistake, but it is often
found in previously repaired sets. Worth checking.

Neil S.