Old October 13th 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default wanted 7pin tube adaptor

Looking for a tube adaptor to test a small 7 pin tube (6A7) in a large 7 pin socket or just a small 7 pin tube socket .

I could make a adaptor , small 7 pin to a 8 pin plug.

I have 3 tube testers but none with the 7 pin small socket .

I would trade one of these test plugs / sockets for a 7 pin small socket or adaptor. I have 2 of each size .

--
Garry W Tidler

WW9GT

Old October 13th 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Garry W Tidler" wrote in message
. ..
Looking for a tube adaptor to test a small 7 pin tube (6A7) in a large 7
pin socket or just a small 7 pin tube socket .

Garry W Tidler

WW9GT

I understood that many [most] tube testers have a 'universal' 7 pin [large
pin] socket that will take both large and smaller pitch diameter tube bases.
I think that all my tube testers have them. What model tester are you using?

Neil S.

Old October 15th 07, 03:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

I thought of doing that , that's what I will do

THANKS

Garry
"Lynn Richardson" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:35:57 -0400, "Garry W Tidler"

wrote:

Looking for a tube adaptor to test a small 7 pin tube (6A7) in a large 7
pin socket or just a small 7 pin tube socket .

I could make a adaptor , small 7 pin to a 8 pin plug.

I have 3 tube testers but none with the 7 pin small socket .

I would trade one of these test plugs / sockets for a 7 pin small socket
or adaptor. I have 2 of each size .

Heck, for a one time test, I'd just use jumper clips from the existing
socket.
It's not like the tube tester is going to be using RF.

Old October 15th 07, 09:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

" Looking for a tube adaptor
Garry W Tidler

I understood that many [most] tube testers have a 'universal' 7 pin [large
pin] socket that will take both large and smaller pitch diameter tube
bases. I think that all my tube testers have them. What model tester are
you using?

Neil S.

My main tube tester is a eico 667 with a eico 615 adaptor.

Could not get it to work , but my Radio City Products tube tester works with
both sizes . Learn something new everyday.

THANKS

Garry WW9GT

Old October 17th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

The 615 adaptor has a 4 pin 5 pin 6 pin and a large 7 pin .

I have another adaptor around here somewhere . When I find it , I will check
it .

I found the other adaptor It has the dual 7 pin . Both are eico 615
adaptors

That is strange .

I will post pictures of both adaptors .

Looks like I am good to test

Thanks

Garry WW9GT

Old October 18th 07, 01:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Gee, Garry, that is REALLY strange that a test adaptor for a tube tester
came with only a large 7 pin socket. The second example is more 'normal'
with the dual 7 socket with pilot lamp test provision. I wonder what the
manual for the 615 shows. If any socket was fitted, I would have thought the
'small' 7 for testing receiver tubes [such as the 6A7] rather than the
'large' 7 that was for more 'commercial/industrial' types.

Neil S.

Old October 20th 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

The old 'large pin' 7 contact tube base came in two flavours with a very
small difference in pitch diamerter, something like 1/16" difference. Who
knows why that was done. Cinch or Amphenol [or both] came up with a socket
for tube testers that had the already rectangular holes in the moulded
Bakelite body elongated radially to allow pins of both pitch diameters to
fit. If you look at Garry's photo of the Eico 615 adaptors, you can clearly
see the difference in the pin slots of the upper and lower version of the
adaptor 7 pin socket [notice the inner edge is closer to the centre by about
1/32"]. The 'universal' one also has the pilot lamp test socket in the
centre.

Neil S.

"Radio Waves" wrote in message

I'm scratching my head on this one. What would be a 7 pin large tube?
Those 2 sockets in the original post look the same to me. I have a I-177
and there is only 1 7 pin old style socket.