Old June 28th 08, 10:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Crosley AA5 speaker

I replaced this one today with a modern speaker. I had to make a new mount
for it because this old one mounted to a bracket via the back of the magnet
structure.

Ain't she a beaut?

--
Say no to institutionalized interference.
Just say NO to HD/IBOC!

Old June 28th 08, 05:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

although this is ugly, it might function perfectly. What was the problem
with it?

I have repaired many speakers in my shop and they end up looking like this,
but working perfectly. So, never go by appearances. If this one is out
of alignment, there are several tricks to re-align them too. Since so many
speakers are very unique to their applications, 90% of the time its best to
retain the original. This is especially true for field coil types.

Mark Oppat

Old June 28th 08, 10:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Mark Oppat" wrote in message
. ..
although this is ugly, it might function perfectly. What was the problem
with it?

I have repaired many speakers in my shop and they end up looking like
this, but working perfectly. So, never go by appearances. If this one
is out of alignment, there are several tricks to re-align them too.
Since so many speakers are very unique to their applications, 90% of the
time its best to retain the original. This is especially true for field
coil types.

Mark Oppat

It's much worse than out of alignment. The poor thing had been laquered
across the entire cone, making it extremely stiff and brittle. It hardly
made any sound at all unless I turned the volume way up, and then it was so
distorted as to hurt my ears.. suppose I could have had it reconed, but that
would have cost me $30-40, and the radio just isn't worth that.

BTW.. apparently, by the late 40's, Crosley was getting cheap. This set
still had all it's original paper caps in it.. and every one of them was a
200V cap, including the one across the line.

Old June 29th 08, 05:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Brenda,

How about a picture of how you did the replacement? Speakers mounted by the
magnet are not uncommon and modern speakers don't lend themselves to this
too well.

Thanks

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with eportiz. Then replace
nospam with sacbeemail.

Old June 29th 08, 10:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Jim Mueller" wrote in message
Brenda,

How about a picture of how you did the replacement? Speakers mounted by
the magnet are not uncommon and modern speakers don't lend themselves to
this too well.

Basically, I mounted a block of wood of the appropriate thickness to the
magnet structure of the new speaker and attached it to the original bracket
with wood screws.

Big Crosley done ! Ken G. Radio Photos 5 October 1st 07 03:09 AM
Crosley before Ken G. Radio Photos 1 June 25th 07 05:58 AM
Crosley workbench Ken G. Radio Photos 2 June 8th 07 04:36 AM
Crosley top Ken G. Radio Photos 0 June 8th 07 01:27 AM
Crosley after wash Ken G. Radio Photos 0 June 8th 07 01:18 AM