Old February 23rd 10, 07:05 PM
Junior Member

Default RAA-3 VLF Receiver

For anyone out there interested in a restoration project, I have a pre-WWII RAA-3 receiver (manufactured Nov. 1935) that needs a new home. Let me begin by saying this is one impressive boat anchor. It consists of a Tuner/Receiver, IF/Audio amplifier and Power Unit. Altogether these weigh in at close to 500 pounds. I first posted this about 6 years ago (http://www.radiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7216) and subsequently learned that only a handful of these currently exist.

Some 30 odd years ago a friend and I hauled an old AN/ARC-5 receiver/transmitter/dynamotor to the top of Sugarloaf mountain (N. Cal) along with a homemade aluminum yagi on a 30 ft mast for an ARRL field day. Great fun. So, although I considered restoring the RAA-3 myself, it's way too big a project for me at this point. I'm in Eugene, Oregon, and I'm currently occupied with building a new home. This is a fine project for anyone who enjoys tinkering with early war surplus equipment. I'll even help load it into your truck.
Attached Thumbnails
RAA-3 VLF Receiver-raa-3.jpg