Old November 17th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

Default My Take on CW - for Powerhouse

"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Brian Denley" wrote in
:

So, in other words, if you don't know how to develop film, you have no
business doing digital photography? Brilliant!

--
Brian Denley

Right, That why there is CB. You don't have to know how it works you just
get on it and act stupid. We can't have ham radio be like that, we want
skill. Quality, not quantity.

I know a lot of you don't like that because it means more work, but we get
a higher quality operator.

"Slow Code" wrote in message
news
No matter what facet of radio you enjoy, the topic is to protect it by
improving the quality of the hobbiests involved. That's why most will
agree if you know morse code, you'll be a better skilled hobbiest and
will improve your nich of the hobby and/or radio service you're
involved with. A valuable knowledge base for those of coming into the
services and hobby.

Tnx, 73 Good luck in the contest.

SC

But at the end of the day SC, no one wants to talk to you. 10-4 good buddy?

Old November 18th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

"U-Know-Who" wrote in
:

"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Brian Denley" wrote in
:

"Slow Code" wrote in message
news No matter what facet of radio you enjoy, the topic is to protect it
by improving the quality of the hobbiests involved. That's why most
will agree if you know morse code, you'll be a better skilled
hobbiest and will improve your nich of the hobby and/or radio service
you're involved with. A valuable knowledge base for those of coming
into the services and hobby.

Tnx, 73 Good luck in the contest.

SC

But at the end of the day SC, no one wants to talk to you.

Why talk at all? Skilled operators know CW.

SC
Old November 20th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

Well, I'm excited about learning code. I have been given some great
websites for practice. And I'm going to try to test in January 2007.
I don't know if I can be ready that quick - but I'm going to give it a
shot. Also, I have been encouraged by several hams to learn the
sounds as complete thoughts instead of learning just letter
recognition. A bit like learning to read, I guess - so I will try that
method. Thanks for the hints.
Slow Code wrote:
ToeJam wrote in :

PowerHouse Communications wrote:
"ToeJam" wrote in message

PowerHouse Communications wrote:

Who cares! CW doesn't belong in a SCANNER group. Discuss it in a
more appropriate group; there are MANY of them, and this is not one of
them!

"ToeJam" stuck his ToeJammed bigfoot up his ass
and wrote in message ...

The need for CW has been waining for many years now and technology has
eliminated a need for it. Why do we still need CW? How many Hams
still use CW? SNIP

You could have fooled me. From what I see here, there are more Ham
related postings than Scanner postings. Are you jummping all over the
other folks that are posting Ham related material too? Or did you just
get up on the wrong side of the bed? I'm not new to Usenet and don't
normally post off topic material, but when I see more postings
concerning a subject not related to the newsgroup, I figure maybe folks
gyrated from scanners to Ham. So don't go preaching to me with your
****ty attitude. You could have phrased your response a bit kinder
instead of being an asshole about it. I'll lurk and see how you
personally deal with the other Ham related postings. And FWIW,
Scanners are strongly related to Ham radio, always have been and always
will be.

No offense, but I don't see the other HAM related postings... All that
off-topic crap is filtered out by my newsreader... Sorry, I didn't
mean to make you feel like I was singling you out, I just don't see the
other crap, there for I don't have a need to "deal" with it...

No offense taken. And yes, if you turn your filer off or use another
reader, you will see a flood of HAM related material here, more so than
scanners. It actually took me by surprise to see so much. I usually
try to stay on topic on Usenet but with this newsgroup, it's hard to
tell what the on topic discussion should be about. Later.

Old November 21st 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

wrote in
ups.com:

Well, I'm excited about learning code. I have been given some great
websites for practice. And I'm going to try to test in January 2007.
I don't know if I can be ready that quick - but I'm going to give it a
shot. Also, I have been encouraged by several hams to learn the
sounds as complete thoughts instead of learning just letter
recognition. A bit like learning to read, I guess - so I will try that
method. Thanks for the hints.

Good luck with it. We love helping people that want to good hams get a
license. That's a good point on learning CW. As you get better and
faster at it, you don't hear individual letters, you hear and your mind
memorizes the sound of whole words.

Markie will probably flame you for wanting to learn CW, but just ignore
Markie, he's a retard.

SC

Old December 17th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

Default Looking for a manual.

Would anyone happen to have the manual for a radio shack htx-212 2 meter
rig in either pdf format or in .txt? I am blind, and need to try to figure
out how to set the pl tones on this rig. If you have one, or can point me
to a web site, that would be great. Just e-mail to this address.
Tnx.

Old December 17th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

"Dana" wrote in message
. com...
Would anyone happen to have the manual for a radio shack htx-212 2 meter
rig in either pdf format or in .txt? I am blind, and need to try to figure
out how to set the pl tones on this rig. If you have one, or can point me
to a web site, that would be great. Just e-mail to this address.
Tnx.

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/u...1125_PM_EN.pdf

Hopefully someone can read it for you as I don't know that text to speech
can read this PDF.

Old December 17th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap
Ed Ed is offline

Would anyone happen to have the manual for a radio shack htx-212 2
meter rig in either pdf format or in .txt? I am blind, and need to try
to figure out how to set the pl tones on this rig. If you have one, or
can point me to a web site, that would be great. Just e-mail to this
address. Tnx.

http://www.mods.dk has both the user manual and the service manual
for this radio. You do not have to have an account to get a single
download per week.

Ed K7AAT
Old December 18th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

Hi all. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded. I got the
manual, then got it into .txt then got a ham to look for a picture of the
rig on the net so he could tell me the button layout. I got all my pl
tones in and everything is rorking just fine. Thanks from Dana in Griffin,
Georgia. n4pge.