Old November 19th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default Uniden scanner opinions please

I have been wanting an emergency scanner for some time, but have not
purchased one mainly because of cost, and not really knowing what is a good
scanner that won't cost much.

I have the opportunity to buy a scanner from a friend and would like an
opinion on if it is good or not. I live in a small rural Wisconsin town so
I'm not sure if that matters with quality of scanner vs. frequencies. That
said, the scanner my friend has is a UNIDEN BEARCAT 855XLT SCANNER for
$49.95. Should I, or shouldn't I buy it?

Old November 19th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"ChristyLynn" wrote in message
I have been wanting an emergency scanner for some time, but have not
purchased one mainly because of cost, and not really knowing what is a good
scanner that won't cost much.

I have the opportunity to buy a scanner from a friend and would like an
opinion on if it is good or not. I live in a small rural Wisconsin town
so I'm not sure if that matters with quality of scanner vs. frequencies.
That said, the scanner my friend has is a UNIDEN BEARCAT 855XLT SCANNER
for $49.95. Should I, or shouldn't I buy it?

Most likely it is a bad choice, depending on what you want to listen to, and
where you're located.

The BC855-XLT is a basic scanner for conventional analog systems. Most
public safety has at the very least upgraded to what is called trunking
systems, which require a trunktracking type scanner. The current trend is
APCO-25, which means it is a digital system, and requires a scanner that is
capable of receiving a digital system. (Not to be confused with a "Digital
Scanner", which can mean only that the scanner has a digital display, vs.
the older dial type tuner).

So to start with, what County/City/State are you in?

Bill Crocker

Old November 19th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Oneida County, Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Would like to pick up EMS and fire
calls. What model could you suggest that is $100 or less (or is that not
possible)?

Old November 19th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"ChristyLynn" wrote in message
Oneida County, Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Would like to pick up EMS and fire
calls. What model could you suggest that is $100 or less (or is that not
possible)?

Well you're in luck! It appears that scanner will work for your needs. You
must live in some small rural area?

Rhinelander:

FI 155.055 MHz
POLICE: 155.250 MHz

Oneida County:

FI 154.445 MHz
FIRE GROUND: 154.355 MHz
SHERIFF: 154.725 MHz
SHERIFF CAR-to-CAR: 155.640 MHz
EMS: 155.805 & 155.340 MHz

It's not a trunked system, nor is it digital. Just plain old conventional
analog. So just about any scanner radio made should be able to receive
those frequencies. Radio Shack has a few on sale right now, and a better
sale taking place on Black Friday. So you might want to take a look at
theirs too. They have both base/mobile, and hand-held units.

Bill Crocker

Old November 19th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

So even though we are still analog, can I get digital in case I need it in
the near future, or will I only be able to use analog right now?

Old November 19th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Mike,

Send me an email so I know your email address.

Chris

"Janitor Boy Jr" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 03:22:48 +0000, ChristyLynn tossed this out for all to
see:

Oneida County, Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Would like to pick up EMS and
fire
calls. What model could you suggest that is $100 or less (or is that not
possible)?

hello Rhinelander. greetings from Antigo!
I've got a pretty good list of active frequencies for this area. drop me
a note when you get set up, and I'll pass it along.

--
~Mike~
45°7'58"N 89°9'5"W

Old November 19th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

This is the cheapest scanner that I can find that says it is
triple-trunking. Thoughts on this model?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Old November 19th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

In article ,
"ChristyLynn" wrote:

This is the cheapest scanner that I can find that says it is
triple-trunking. Thoughts on this model?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...=2032052.20320
72&parentPage=family

On the day after thanksgiving the handheld model of this radio will be
on sale for $99. FYI
Old November 20th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"ChristyLynn" wrote in message
This is the cheapest scanner that I can find that says it is
triple-trunking. Thoughts on this model?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

It won't work with the newer digital systems.

Bill Crocker

Old November 22nd 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Keith wrote:

(link to PRO-433 1,000-Channel Triple-Trunking Desktop/Mobile Scanner
$169.99
Model: PRO-433
Catalog #: 20-433)

On the day after thanksgiving the handheld model of this radio will be
on sale for $99. FYI

Which one is that? The PRO-97?

http://tinyurl.com/ygh2gk

PRO-97 1000-Channel Triple-Trunking Handheld Scanner
$199.99
Model: PRO-97 | Catalog #: 20-527