Old January 9th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default Do no-code hams wipe their butts?

John Doe wrote:
Hey the CODE is dead - why don't you get off of this subject?

Code is presently alive and well on 40m with
a couple of dozen QSOs going on.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 9th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default Do procode hams wipe their butts?

U-Know-Who wrote:

I bet you already hooked up a long wire to your Space-Patrol walkie talkie,
didn't ya?

Hey, a couple years back I had a QSO with a guy using a 49 MHz
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle walkie talkie, recrystalled for 6M.
He was getting out pretty well too.
--scott
Old January 9th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
U-Know-Who wrote:

I bet you already hooked up a long wire to your Space-Patrol walkie
talkie,
didn't ya?

Hey, a couple years back I had a QSO with a guy using a 49 MHz
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle walkie talkie, recrystalled for 6M.
He was getting out pretty well too.
--scott

Somewhere in my papers - I have an article that came out specifically
dealing with taking a "Space Patrol" type walkie talkie and placing it on "6
meters" as a QRP rig. I bought a pair to do it - and things got hectic. That
became a back burner project. I still have the walkie talkies but have to
dig out the paperwork.

Old January 9th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
et...
John Doe wrote:
Hey the CODE is dead - why don't you get off of this subject?

Code is presently alive and well on 40m with
a couple of dozen QSOs going on.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil,

Code "isn't" dead "completely", I think we all know that. I believe I am
safe in saying that what this guy was getting to was - SC's vigilance to
keep insulting No Code Hams OR Ham want to bes. There really IS no reason to
keep that up. There is nothing we can do to bring it back - the decision has
been made - whether we like it or not. Insults can only help "kill" the
hobby.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - if you like it - USE IT. If not -
so what!

The horse has been beaten to death - past death, now into the dust. Give it
a break. I've blocked all that have supported "his" stupid remarks and
argument. It has been going on for at least 6 months. IT IS OVER!

Old January 9th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

U-Know-Who wrote:

I bet you already hooked up a long wire to your Space-Patrol walkie
talkie,
didn't ya?

Hey, a couple years back I had a QSO with a guy using a 49 MHz
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle walkie talkie, recrystalled for 6M.
He was getting out pretty well too.

Somewhere in my papers - I have an article that came out specifically
dealing with taking a "Space Patrol" type walkie talkie and placing it on "6
meters" as a QRP rig. I bought a pair to do it - and things got hectic. That
became a back burner project. I still have the walkie talkies but have to
dig out the paperwork.

It shouldn't be that big a deal.. I know a lot of the newer ones are basically
one IC with a crystal for the transmitter and an RC tank for the receive, so
you'd have only two things to change.

"Space Patrol" looks good on a QSL card equipment line, but not as good
as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."
--scott

Old January 9th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

"Radiosrfun" writes:

Somewhere in my papers - I have an article that came out specifically
dealing with taking a "Space Patrol" type walkie talkie and placing it on "6
meters" as a QRP rig. I bought a pair to do it - and things got hectic. That
became a back burner project. I still have the walkie talkies but have to
dig out the paperwork.

There was a group of us back in Boston in the late 80s doing that a
lot ... we had a big bin of the xtals, and were tuning them up for a
local 6m repeater.

I also had a simplex pair that I used to build a fun 2400 bps packet
rig.

Imminently hackable, and amazingly cheap.

Good memories.

--
Lawrence Statton - m s/aba/c/g
Computer software consists of only two components: ones and
Old January 9th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

"Lawrence Statton XE2/N1GAK" wrote in message
"Radiosrfun" writes:

[...]

Yeah - the biggest deal of it was changing the crystal. I think the coils
and so on - were pretty much there within reason to oscillate. Been a while
since I read the article though.

Old January 9th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Lawrence Statton XE2/N1GAK wrote:

There was a group of us back in Boston in the late 80s doing that a
lot ... we had a big bin of the xtals, and were tuning them up for a
local 6m repeater.

I also had a simplex pair that I used to build a fun 2400 bps packet
rig.

This brings to mind... the military has lots of those horrible little
AN/PRT-4A transmitters selling dirt cheap on the surplus market. They
are kind of neat because they have a 455 KHz oscillator to shift the
frequency of the crystal up, allowing you to use the same crystal for
the transmitter as you did for the (seperate) receiver.

NOBODY has documentation on these things. The LOGSA database has them
still listed as unavailable except within the military. Does anyone have
a schematic on these?

As I recall, these were issued in Vietnam for communication within units,
but were mostly famous for drawing fire with their large antennae and
for poor signal quality.
--scott