Old December 13th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default DIY Scanner Antenna

I have looked around on Google without much success. I am interested in
making my own indoor antenna for my scanner. It must be general coverage and
omni directional. I have wire and coax. Just looking for something that is
going to be better than the telescoping antenna built into the scanner
without going outdoors. If anyone has any ideas or links for websites with
some info on building your own indoor antenna please share
Thank You and Best Regards
Bill

Old December 13th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Bill wrote:
I have looked around on Google without much success. I am interested in
making my own indoor antenna for my scanner. It must be general coverage and
omni directional. I have wire and coax. Just looking for something that is
going to be better than the telescoping antenna built into the scanner
without going outdoors. If anyone has any ideas or links for websites with
some info on building your own indoor antenna please share
Thank You and Best Regards
Bill

Look He

http://www.radioreference.com/forums...splay.php?f=80

Old December 14th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Bill" wrote in message

I have looked around on Google without much success. I am interested in

making my own indoor antenna for my scanner. It must be general coverage

Unless you are locked into a do it your self project you might look at the
radio shack 20-006 telescoping center loaded antenna. It works as well as
anything I have tried except roof mounts. I have one on my Pro 94 and
BC895 and it really helps, especially on the lower freqs and air band. RM~

PS, If used on a base scanner with a rear panel bnc connector you will need
a bnc right angle adapter.

Old December 14th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

You might try googling the discone antenna. Has a 10:1 frequency range.
Haven't built one myself (yet), but will try one of these days.

Old December 20th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
jon jon is offline

Greetings All!
I have been toying with the idea of building a discone antenna for
scanning. I have a couple of junk TV antennas and I think I will make
good use of the elements and construct a discone. I have thought about
using the UHF end off of one and put it on a small rotor for
directional use in the UHF bands. Just some fodder for the brain. Have
a great week! Jon in Upstate South Carolina.

Old December 21st 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Bill wrote:
I have looked around on Google without much success. I am interested in
making my own indoor antenna for my scanner. It must be general coverage and
omni directional. I have wire and coax. Just looking for something that is
going to be better than the telescoping antenna built into the scanner
without going outdoors. If anyone has any ideas or links for websites with
some info on building your own indoor antenna please share
Thank You and Best Regards
Bill

Make a "Slim-jim" (J-pole) from some twinlead/hookup wire.
Tack it high up in the wall,and call it good.
Old December 21st 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
jon jon is offline

Greetings!
This is exactly what I am currently using for an outdoor scanner
antenna, a J- pole. Mine is outdoors and was actually cut for the 2
meter ham band, 144-148 mgh, but it works very well on all bands for
receive purposes. You should get very good results on an indoor
version as I know several hams who use a j-pole inside for transmit and
receive. Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas! Jon in Upstate South
Carolina.

PhattyMo wrote:
Bill wrote:
I have looked around on Google without much success. I am interested in
making my own indoor antenna for my scanner. It must be general coverage and
omni directional. I have wire and coax. Just looking for something that is
going to be better than the telescoping antenna built into the scanner
without going outdoors. If anyone has any ideas or links for websites with
some info on building your own indoor antenna please share
Thank You and Best Regards
Bill

Make a "Slim-jim" (J-pole) from some twinlead/hookup wire.
Tack it high up in the wall,and call it good.

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Loop Antennas / minijack works-clips don't / impedence?? [email protected] Shortwave 14 August 23rd 06 04:07 AM
Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 06:53 PM
Workman BS-1 Dipole Antenna = Easy Mod to make it a Mini-Windom Antenna ! RHF Shortwave 0 November 2nd 05 11:14 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM