Old March 8th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

Default Carrier tones every 15 kHz in 10m band

While tuning through the 28.3 to 28.5 MHz portion of the 10m band in USB
mode, I get what sound like carrier tones very evenly spaced every 15 kHz
starting at about 28.3 MHz.

I am using an AOR AR8600MkII receiver with an AOR SA7000 antenna mounted on
a mast outside. I am located in central NJ in the Princeton/Trenton area.

What is the source of these tones?

Thanks,
Doug

Old March 8th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

"DougSlug" wrote in message
While tuning through the 28.3 to 28.5 MHz portion of the 10m band in USB
mode, I get what sound like carrier tones very evenly spaced every 15 kHz
starting at about 28.3 MHz.

I am using an AOR AR8600MkII receiver with an AOR SA7000 antenna mounted
on a mast outside. I am located in central NJ in the Princeton/Trenton
area.

What is the source of these tones?

Thanks,
Doug

The horizontal sweep of television sets is 15750 Hz.
Switch mode power supplies operate anywhere from
10 kHz to 100 kHz.
It is not uncommon for either of them to ring and generate
harmonics in HF.

--
rb

Old March 9th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

On Mar 8, 3:03 am, "Ron Baker, Pluralitas!"
wrote:
"DougSlug" wrote in message

While tuning through the 28.3 to 28.5 MHz portion of the 10m band in USB
mode, I get what sound like carrier tones very evenly spaced every 15 kHz
starting at about 28.3 MHz.

I am using an AOR AR8600MkII receiver with an AOR SA7000 antenna mounted
on a mast outside. I am located in central NJ in the Princeton/Trenton
area.

What is the source of these tones?

Thanks,
Doug

The horizontal sweep of television sets is 15750 Hz.
Switch mode power supplies operate anywhere from
10 kHz to 100 kHz.
It is not uncommon for either of them to ring and generate
harmonics in HF.

--
rb

least you know the rx's working :-)

Old March 10th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

"Edmund H. Ramm" wrote in message
In "Ron Baker, Pluralitas!"
writes:

"DougSlug" wrote in message
While tuning through the 28.3 to 28.5 MHz portion of the 10m band in USB
mode, I get what sound like carrier tones very evenly spaced every 15
kHz
starting at about 28.3 MHz.

I am using an AOR AR8600MkII receiver with an AOR SA7000 antenna mounted
on a mast outside. I am located in central NJ in the Princeton/Trenton
area.

What is the source of these tones?

Thanks,
Doug

The horizontal sweep of television sets is 15750 Hz.
Switch mode power supplies operate anywhere from
10 kHz to 100 kHz.
It is not uncommon for either of them to ring and generate
harmonics in HF.

In the case of switch mode power supplies the spikes IMO would be
120Hz apart (100Hz where I live). And most of the rf energy is spilled
from abt. 1 to 7 MHz, with almost nothing left to be found on 28MHz.

73, Eddi ._._.
--
e-mail: dk3uz AT darc DOT de | AMPRNET:
If replying to a Usenet article, please use above e-mail address.

The mains frequency has little to do with the noise
that a switcher can generate. A switcher rectifies and filters
the mains to DC then uses a switching transistor to
drive a transformer at a much higher frequency. Tens of
kHz typically. The higher frequency allows the "magnetics",
i.e. the tranformer, to be much smaller physically than
a 60 (50) Hz transformer. That plus the on-off and not
linear nature of the switch allows switching power supplies
to be smaller and more efficient than linear supplies.
It is the switching, with sharp edges, that generates
high frequency components. I've seen poorly designed
switchers generate harmonics into the hundreds of MHz.

--
rb

Old March 10th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

writes:

"DougSlug" wrote in message
[...]

I understand about the noise and harmonics a switcher can generate, but the
thing is that my antenna is mounted outside on a mast 25 feet up. All the
wiring in my neighborhood is underground. It's not clear to me how I could
be getting such strong interference in this case. What about harmonics from
wireless routers? Could that explain this interference pattern? - Doug

Old March 10th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

writes:

"DougSlug" wrote in message
[...]

It seems very unlikely to me. That stuff is up in the GHz.
They don't tend to make subharmonics.

My computer monitor has a 62 kHz horizontal sweep.
There are various places on HF that I pick up "carriers"
evenly spaced at 62 kHz. (Antenna is outside, connected
with coax.) When I switch off the monitor the "carriers"
disappear.

One thing to try is to remove power from everything
in the house. You can't just turn them off, you have to
disconnect the power. I have a Sony stereo that makes
RF noise if it is just plugged in.
You can switch off all the circuit breakers to everything
but the radio. (And unplug anything left on the live circuit.)
Or if you can power the radio with batteries
then switch off all or the main breaker.
See how much noise goes away then.

--
rb

Old March 11th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

What about harmonics from wireless routers? Could that explain this
interference pattern? - Doug

It seems very unlikely to me. That stuff is up in the GHz.
They don't tend to make subharmonics.

The carrier frequency is around 2.4 GHz, sure, but the data bursts are quite
a bit slower. What I don't know about is whether wireless routers broadcast
data bursts at regular intervals that somehow may be getting demodulated in
my receiver.

My computer monitor has a 62 kHz horizontal sweep.
There are various places on HF that I pick up "carriers"
evenly spaced at 62 kHz. (Antenna is outside, connected
with coax.) When I switch off the monitor the "carriers"
disappear.

I use an LCD panel. Turning that off makes no difference, as expected.

One thing to try is to remove power from everything
in the house. You can't just turn them off, you have to
disconnect the power. I have a Sony stereo that makes
RF noise if it is just plugged in.
You can switch off all the circuit breakers to everything
but the radio. (And unplug anything left on the live circuit.)
Or if you can power the radio with batteries
then switch off all or the main breaker.
See how much noise goes away then.

I've gone through this process when chasing down a nasty buzz in the AM and
SW broadcast bands. I found that the light dimmers on my outdoor spotlights
caused a nasty buzz all across the bands, not at any kind of regularly
spaced frequencies. That sound was also quite different than what I am
getting now. I'll have to explore that idea some more.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming...hopefully we'll figure it out.

- Doug

Old March 11th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

What about harmonics from wireless routers? Could that explain this
interference pattern? - Doug

It seems very unlikely to me. That stuff is up in the GHz.
They don't tend to make subharmonics.

The carrier frequency is around 2.4 GHz, sure, but the data bursts are
quite a bit slower. What I don't know about is whether wireless routers
broadcast data bursts at regular intervals that somehow may be getting
demodulated in my receiver.

It is the wireless router, a NetGear WGR614. I don't know why the hell I
didn't try that earlier. It does the exact same thing to my Icom IC-R20.
Maybe the power supply in the router? Or is it a wireless signal
phenomenon? - Doug

Old March 11th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

wireless router what at 2.4ghz!!

try killing the power to your house while running the RX'er from a battery
or car.
that should give you agood idea if its you or not

mike

Old March 11th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.ham-radio.hf

weird!!!!!

psu then or xlal osc inside for baud rate etc.
try it on a battery

mike

pl tones FLYFISHING PI Scanner 0 August 7th 04 01:48 PM
control tones on FRS PDRUNEN CB 2 June 21st 04 02:02 AM
Need "PL" tones, Burlington Co, NJ VHFRadioBuff Scanner 1 January 9th 04 04:08 PM
Does FRS and Ham radio use the same PL tones?? private Scanner 3 October 31st 03 11:46 AM
Tones Alan Lansburger CB 9 August 4th 03 01:37 PM