Old April 3rd 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default Modifying VCR as a scanner

Got a old (pre 90s) VCR that can manually tune to VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and
UHF TV frequencies. It has 16 preset channels. I swear one time I
heard two-way radio from a local utility company while manually
tuning. I suspect it was a inter modulation signal.

That got me into thinking why not modify it to extend the frequency
range from its default range of 174-216 MHz (VHF) and 470-698 MHz
(UHF)? I would imagine it might be possible to salvage the oscillator/
tuner for this purpose. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
-Jim

(P.S. I don't connect TV with this VCR; only use RCA jack for audio)

Old April 4th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Some years ago there was an extensive, maybe even multi-part, project in one
of the magazines to convert one of those into a wide coverage spectrum
analyzer. I even recall seeing kits being sold at a hamfest, once again some
years ago.

Dave

"labtech1" wrote in message
Sounds like WAY more bother than its worth

ups.com...

Old April 4th 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Apr 3, 10:51 pm, "labtech1" wrote:
Sounds like WAY more bother than its worth

Yes indeed. I was hoping there is a simple mod that will allow extra
coverage in the frequency. It seems like an interesting project but I
am not that advanced in soldering skill.

Thanks Rene for the link though. This guy knows what he is doing. He
should start selling finished products.

Old April 7th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

wrote in message
ups.com...
Got a old (pre 90s) VCR that can manually tune to VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and
UHF TV frequencies. It has 16 preset channels. I swear one time I
heard two-way radio from a local utility company while manually
tuning. I suspect it was a inter modulation signal.

That got me into thinking why not modify it to extend the frequency
range from its default range of 174-216 MHz (VHF) and 470-698 MHz
(UHF)? I would imagine it might be possible to salvage the oscillator/
tuner for this purpose. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
-Jim

(P.S. I don't connect TV with this VCR; only use RCA jack for audio)

Well yes and no....
Yes..it would work.....
NO....it will have POOR performance as the front end is damn near deaf and
not stable.The IF is set up for a wideband signal, what you want is a
narrowband IF.
YES...it will hear strong signals nearby....
NO...the recovered audio will be VERY low.
NO...if it has any AFC in the front end it will go all over the place..

GOOD thought, but poor platform choice....