Old April 18th 07, 04:34 AM
Junior Member

Default Question Realistic Pro-2006 scanner

I recently acquired a Pro-2006 scanner with a modification I do not recognize. The rear of the scanner has been modified to include a 2nd "BNC jack" labelled "Verifier." inside the scanner I noticed that wires from this BNC connector goes to the volume and squelch controls in the scanner.

Does anyone know what mod this is?
Old April 18th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

shortwaveman wrote in
:

I recently acquired a Pro-2006 scanner with a modification I do not
recognize. The rear of the scanner has been modified to include a 2nd
"BNC jack" labelled "Verifier." inside the scanner I noticed that
wires from this BNC connector goes to the volume and squelch controls
in the scanner.

Does anyone know what mod this is?

Sounds bizzare, I thought I did every mod possible to mine, never heard of
this one.
Am 99% sure it was not in Cheeks mod books either.

Old April 18th 07, 04:41 PM
Junior Member

This mod was professionally done and labeled also. I wonder if this is 10.7mhz IF output mod. I dont want to plug anything in there unless I am sure. I will keep checking this site. Hopefully, someone will have a clue. Thanks for your info.
Old April 18th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"shortwaveman" wrote in message

I recently acquired a Pro-2006 scanner with a modification I do not
recognize. The rear of the scanner has been modified to include a 2nd
"BNC jack" labelled "Verifier." inside the scanner I noticed that
wires from this BNC connector goes to the volume and squelch controls
in the scanner.

Does anyone know what mod this is?

Sounds like the 'discriminator" take off point. This is for feeding audio
into a computer, maybe through an external device to decode the digital
signals.

Old April 18th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tth tth is offline

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:41:58 +0100, shortwaveman
wrote:

T-bone;565567 Wrote:
shortwaveman wrote in
:
-

I recently acquired a Pro-2006 scanner with a modification I do not
recognize. The rear of the scanner has been modified to include a
2nd
"BNC jack" labelled "Verifier." inside the scanner I noticed that
wires from this BNC connector goes to the volume and squelch controls
in the scanner.

Does anyone know what mod this is?-

Sounds bizzare, I thought I did every mod possible to mine, never heard
of
this one.
Am 99% sure it was not in Cheeks mod books either.

This mod was professionally done and labeled also. I wonder if this is
10.7mhz IF output mod. I dont want to plug anything in there unless I
am sure. I will keep checking this site. Hopefully, someone will have
a clue. Thanks for your info.

there was a time , back when , when a person could tune in the analog
cellfone band and listen to people using their phones. the point
being that some vendors at swap meets and outdoor markets used
their cellfones to place and verify credit card purchases. in this
era , long ago, " other people " might eavesdrop on these
transactions and steal people's credit card information.

all you had to do was tune in on the tower " input " end of the
cellfone connection and hook up a credit card verifone unit to your
scanner and " all " of the transaction would be printed out on that
little thermal printer of the card verifier. these older portable
credit card units connected to the audio output - input of the
cellfone. discriminator - slicer outputs did not work well with
any of the old early verifone transaction units as they expected -
needed tailored audio output that replicated what you hear in your
cellfone.

what you describe sounds a little bit like it might be related to
something like that ! just a thought !

Old April 19th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tth tth is offline

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:09:58 -0400, WsW wrote:

Pass that **** my way...........I wanna hit

?

hacking early attempts at verifone systems is old , old news. first
cellfone credit card authorizations at swap meets were strictly vocal
.. the merchant called his verifone ( or similar service ) number and
gave all the info on the ( cellphone ) phone by voice. THAT was
toooooo easy to rip off. next was a simplistic system of manually
dialing a number , giving them your merchant number, and the machine
( hooked to the cellfone ) would send the info in a non encrypted
modem tone system and get the info back on a thermal printer. THAT too
was easy to rip but way better than saying it out loud on a
cellfone. things have gotten a LOT more difficult since those early
days , and especially after the government instituted the EE3
requirements for cellular services !

the info is likely still in the alt.2600 historical files and look
for Verifone Junior password lists as well. none of it has been
usable since sometime in the '89 - '92 era ( depending upon where you
lived , it lasted longer out in the country ).

try looking here
http://www.astalavista.com/index.php...=details&id=65

same as it ever was .........