Old July 1st 03, 01:56 AM
RP Jones

Default Gays proud in New York

BS!!! BS !! What a disgrace, here in NYC last night !!!
Over 50 woman started this brawl, some with Mohawks on motorcycles on the
pier outside my apt window, police had to be called in. Police on my tax
dollar that is......FOR WHAT?
I want my taxes to go where they are needed TO PROTECT US....THE PUBLIC not
baby-sit these *******s.
What a can of worms and in your face B.S. this is new law's going to bring,
JUST WAIT !!!!

-RP

"Lord Floyd" wrote in message
NEW YORK, June 29 (AFP) - Tens of thousands took to the streets of New
York
on Sunday for the 34th annual Gay Pride Day, with celebrations
sweetened by
the US Supreme Court decision to knock down laws banning gay sex.
"I'm so emotional about all this stuff going on. We've been working
so hard
for so many years," parade co-director Tom Hom said.
Organizers refused to predict attendance, but the parade, which
usually
attracts close to half a million, could top that number, buoyed by
recent
victories for the movement.
"I'm so excited and joyous, but I know there's more work left to be
done,"
Hom added.
The march in New York, one of the biggest in the world, was given
added
impetus by the ruling by the United States' highest court that sodomy
laws
were unconstitutional.
The march started at noon along Fifth Avenue and headed south
toward
Greenwich Village, site of the 1969 "Stonewall rebellion" against the
repression of homosexuals. The movement grew, spawning pride parades in
many
US cities and around the world.
"When we come to events like this we get to be reminded of how
diverse the
population is," said one marcher.
"Some day the rest of the country is going to recognize the
relationship.
and I think that is really one step in that direction."
Gay and lesbian couples are also savoring Canada's recent decision
to allow
same-sex marriages. The US magazine Newsweek asked on its cover: "Is
Gay
Marriage Next?"
Conservative politicians stepped up to voice their opposition to
same sex
marriages however.
"Marriage is a sacrament ... traditionally in our Western values has
been
defined, as between a man and a woman," Bill Frist, the head of the
Republican
majority in the Senate, told ABC television Sunday.
On Thursday, the US Supreme Court struck down state laws banning gay
sex
between consenting adults, even in private.
The court decided that Texas could not punish two men arrested for
having
sex in a private apartment. The Supreme Court decision was acclaimed by
gay
rights groups but bitterly condemned by conservatives.
"The state cannot demean their existence or control their destiny by
making
their private sexual conduct a crime." the court said in its 6-3
decision,
which struck down similar laws in all 13 states, some of which punished
acts
of oral or anal sex.
Texas was one of four US states where it had been a crime for
members of
the same sex to engage in sodomy. In Texas this was defined as oral or
anal
sex.
The challenge to the Texas statute started after sheriff's deputies
in
Harris County arrested John Lawrence and Tyron Garner when they were
discovered having sex in Lawrence's apartment in September 1998.