Old July 21st 03, 07:55 PM
star racer

Default Can an Icom ICR2 scanner be tracked for a signal?

Hi

Can someone tell me if it is possible to track down someone only
listening to a frequency using an Icom Ic R2 scanner in a crowd of
people? I would think that if the Icom scanner is only listening to a
signal than it cannot be tracked by someone else. I would also think
that the only way it could be tracked was if it were transmitting a
signal. Can someone please answer this question for me?

S.
Old July 21st 03, 08:55 PM

The IF freq of the scanner could be tracked. A common IF is 10.7 MHz. Look
in the units manual it will tell you the IF.
The BBC does this in the UK to see if you have paid the license fee for your
TV.
MC
Old July 27th 03, 08:55 PM
star racer

Hi

Can someone tell me if it is possible to track down someone only
listening to a frequency using an Icom Ic R2 scanner in a crowd of
people?

Possible? Certainly.

I would think that if the Icom scanner is only listening to a
signal than it cannot be tracked by someone else. I would also think
that the only way it could be tracked was if it were transmitting a
signal. Can someone please answer this question for me?

All recievers give off radio signals, to some degree. It's going to
boil down to how well the reciever is shielded and how badly the person
doing the hunting wants to find it.
You might do a search for "Stupid Scanner Tricks", which used to
detail all the gizmos you can pick up with a scanner, including other
scanners.

Is there a way that you can block or scramble the R2 signal so one
cannot be tracked?

S.
Old July 27th 03, 09:21 PM
Gimmy

[...]