Old July 29th 03, 11:41 PM
Toscano

Default What kind of (2 way) radio is this?

I picked this up at a flea market from a guy who thought it was a CB, he
said he got it out of a tow truck he bought. To me it looks like a trunked
radio of some sort, most likely 800MHz judging by the front panel.
The ID sticker is missing but the serial number is still on the inside (no
FCC ID to go by) so I am not suspicious. It is a Johnson with a front
speaker and sort of sloped front unlike anything I have ever seen (the side
with the speaker comes out about 5/8" farther than the other side). Rear has
a large heat sink. Radio measures about 2x6x10 inches. Front panel has
following controls: power, V, A, S, Volume, System, Group.
Modular-type plug for the microphone (like my Yaesu FT2600).
Curiously the power cord is blue and red wires. I tried this on two
different 13.8VDC power supplies and I tried reversing the wires and no
matter what they short out the power supply.
Any ideas? Anyone even know the correct power requirement for this

Old July 30th 03, 01:25 AM
Frank

Toscano ...

^ Any ideas?

I don't, but could you add the antenna connector to the description? SO239?
BNC?

Frank

Old July 30th 03, 05:21 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Toscano" wrote:

(snip) Curiously the power cord is blue and red wires.
I tried this on two different 13.8VDC power supplies
and I tried reversing the wires and no matter what they
short out the power supply. Any ideas? Anyone even
know the correct power requirement for this

Try grounding the case (radio housing) itself to the negative side of the
power supply and the red wire to the positive. The blue wire is more likely
a separate power input to maintain power to the memories. In a vehicle, the
red wire would go to the ignition switch side of the wiring, with the blue
to the battery side. The case completes the circuit when mounted to metal in
or around the dash. This wiring arrangement would allow the radio to turn
off with the ignition switch, while the blue wire provides constant power to
the memories.

Sadly, I have no clue about the identification of the radio itself. But,
if I were to guess, I'd say it sounds like a Relm sold with the Johnson name
on it. In other words, try checking the Relm web site (if they even have
one).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/