Old July 31st 03, 02:27 PM
PowerHouse CB & Scanner

Default Radio Shack to discontinue Police Scanners.

Perhaps in Canada, but everything is the same here in the US. They still
sell CBs and Ham Radios around here, so I doubt I will see their line of
scanners disappearing any time soon... I've heard of this already happening
across the northern border, but not within the US.

PH

wrote in message ...
Look for a big sale on the remaining stock of police scanners at the

Shack.
After 30+ years of selling police scanners Radio Shack is getting out of

the
business. This move follows the elimination of the ham radio and CB's that
Radio Shack used to sell for years. Radio Shack makes more money from

Computer
and Cellular phone sales and the return rate of 30% on police scanners

because
consumers find them too difficult to operate helped Radio Shack make the

move.

Old July 31st 03, 04:50 PM
Robert

"PowerHouse CB & Scanner" wrote in
message ...
Perhaps in Canada, but everything is the same here in the US. They still
sell CBs and Ham Radios around here, so I doubt I will see their line of
scanners disappearing any time soon... I've heard of this already

happening
across the northern border, but not within the US.

Well, the local dealer _here_ has zippo ham radios and can't get
any. There are none that I can find on the Shack web site, either. Likewise
CB's.He's also tried to get me their scanner headphones, _twice_, and can't
get those.
The Shack shows all the signs of being completely out of the
amateur radio business - I'd bet the stuff on the webpage is inventory that
won't be replenished when it's gone.

---

Old July 31st 03, 09:45 PM
Xxxxx

Radio Shack sells CB radios in the U.S, but, they don't really have any ham
gear to speak of. Go to http://www.radioshack.com and navigate to amateur
radio... transceivers. They list one item, and it's a speaker! Sheesh.

Old July 31st 03, 09:47 PM
John L. Wilkerson Jr.

"PowerHouse CB & Scanner"
wrote
in :

Perhaps in Canada, but everything is the same here in the US.

They
still sell CBs and Ham Radios around here, so I doubt I will see

their
line of scanners disappearing any time soon... I've heard of

this
already happening across the northern border, but not within the

US.

Additionally, they are preparing to release a new-digital-capable
scanner.... Definitely NOT true.....

Old August 1st 03, 05:06 AM
Spamhater

"John L. Wilkerson Jr." wrote in message
"PowerHouse CB & Scanner"
wrote
in :

Perhaps in Canada, but everything is the same here in the US.

They
still sell CBs and Ham Radios around here, so I doubt I will see

their
line of scanners disappearing any time soon... I've heard of

this
already happening across the northern border, but not within the

US.

Additionally, they are preparing to release a new-digital-capable
scanner.... Definitely NOT true.....

Out of curiosity, perhaps the Canadian government playing a role in loss of
sales of scanners- in Canada??????
JMS.

Old August 1st 03, 03:53 PM
Michalkun

"Spamhater" wrote in
:

Out of curiosity, perhaps the Canadian government playing a role in
loss of sales of scanners- in Canada??????
JMS.

I wouldn't think so. These guys are too slow to do anything.
Old August 1st 03, 06:26 PM
Dave Holford

Spamhater wrote:

"John L. Wilkerson Jr." wrote in message
"PowerHouse CB & Scanner"
wrote
in :

Perhaps in Canada, but everything is the same here in the US.

They
still sell CBs and Ham Radios around here, so I doubt I will see

their
line of scanners disappearing any time soon... I've heard of

this
already happening across the northern border, but not within the

US.

Additionally, they are preparing to release a new-digital-capable
scanner.... Definitely NOT true.....

Out of curiosity, perhaps the Canadian government playing a role in loss of
sales of scanners- in Canada??????
JMS.

More likely the U.S. Government.

The market for RS scanners is probably poor since they tend to carry
U.S. versions. Other dealers in Canada have versions without the cell
blocking and are most likely getting most of the business.

Dave
Old August 2nd 03, 04:47 PM
GLC1173

Robert wrote:
The Shack shows all the signs of being completely out of the
amateur radio business - I'd bet the stuff on the webpage is inventory that
won't be replenished when it's gone.

It may well have decided to get out of the ham-radio business - but
Monitoring Times just reviewed a new scanner set up for APCO-25 digital it will
soon be marketing.
BDissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, nationwide weather
IA HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com"ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy/A/b/i