Old August 8th 03, 12:03 PM
Saboteur

Default What can I do with a scanner?

Can someone give me some uses for these handheld scanners? Like what
do you guys use them for (non professionally speaking ofcourse).

Can you guys like tap people's phones and stuff (sorry for sounding
like an excited kid, but I get like that with new gadgets
Old August 8th 03, 12:28 PM
Ruben F.

"Saboteur" wrote in message
m...

Can someone give me some uses for these handheld scanners? Like what
do you guys use them for (non professionally speaking ofcourse).

Check out http://www.police-scanner.info/introscan.htm - under "Why You
Should Own A Police Scanner"

-RF
http://www.Police-Scanner.info

Old August 9th 03, 02:21 PM
J999w

I listen to the NOAA weather stations alot, as well as the VHF marine band.
Last week I heard the US Coast Guard make an announcement on ch. 16 that
several flares were seen as well as a life preserver found floating in the
water 20 miles off the Chicago shore in Lake Michigan. Unfortunately, I was
driving inland at the time, and never did find out what became of that. I also
heard a sail boat call Mayday as they ran aground on a sand bar. I hear a lot
of fishing boats on Lake Michigan as well as the big ocean going vessels that
come into port. Besides local police, other interesting listening can be found
on the local busses (metro and school busses). In the winter I listen to the
snow plows and the AAA auto club. They have two transmitters in town. These
are very busy during snow storms. Taxi cabs can be neat to listen to at times.
The air band in cool. Plug in a few ' ops ' frequencies like 123.45 and you may
find several pilots chatting to each other as they fly across the country ...
sometimes in Russian or French ! Check out the ham radio band. There is new
technology called IRLP in which the ham radio repeater is connected to the
internet ... I've heard hams driving home from work in their car from Australia
talking to local hams, or hams in London chatting as they sit in their basement
radio rooms.

If you search carefully, you may find the DEA following known drug dealers
around town ... even placing bugs on the cars and announcing exactly where they
are on the map as they tail them !!! (you didn't hear this from me though ...
just what I've been told ... or did I actually hear it???? )

On the old cordless phone band, I've heard a neighbor chatting with his
girlfriend while his wife was away at work (they've since moved).

I work in the medical field, and my favorite thing to listen to are the
ambulances and Flight for Life helicopters. I've heard several calls where the
EMT's have been defibrillating people while on the radio with the doctor at the
hospital.

LOTS of good stuff out there.

Good listening !

jw
wb9uai
Old August 9th 03, 03:11 PM
N8KDV

J999w wrote:

[...]

I was just listening to 123.45 and heard an aircraft announce that he was 11,000
feet over the field and jumpers were away. This at 10:08 EST.

Steve
Holland, MI

Old August 10th 03, 10:52 PM
J999w

Here in Wisconsin, there's lots of police action to be heard without trunk
tracking, the 154mhz range is still full of signals and the fact that the big
cities like Milwaukee have moved to 800mhz, just makes the smaller towns and
surrounding counties easier to be heard.

The 800mhz trunked stuff out of Milwaukee can still be heard without trunking
scanner, it's just harder to follow a series of transmissions, but with most of
the communications being 'one liners' anyway, no big whoop. I just type in the
trunked frequency and listen anyway. Out of 10 transmissions, I'll get 7
police, one municipal bus, and maybe 2 EMS. Fire is still not trunked.

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee

scanner wont work snow Equipment 0 August 24th 03 01:29 AM
Taking Back the Group - Scanner Listener Helps Bust the Bad Guy Taking Back the Group Scanner 0 July 22nd 03 01:29 AM
fs scanner george Equipment 0 July 20th 03 06:30 PM
fs scanner george Equipment 0 July 20th 03 06:30 PM
fs scanner george Scanner 0 July 20th 03 06:30 PM