Old November 18th 03, 05:02 PM
WilleeCue

Excellent answer, Frank.

I dont know what it is worth so will you settle for some glory?

William Lee

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3adc9$6bd97130$0125250a@wqthyngmczujkoau.. .
Clifton T. Sharp Jr. ...

^ I don't believe I've saved any lives. But I didn't burst
^ in here bragging about how dangerous my surroundings are
^ and try to use that to diminish the contribution of public
^ safety personnel to society.

No one did that. The guy asked a good question: why do emergency services
personnel get all the glory when there are other dangerous, and sometimes
more dangerous, jobs out there. And I answered that question: because we
don't want to pay them what they are worth so we thank them with glory.

You,
on the other hand, for a reason you wish not to admit, have turned this
discussion so that it centers on you.

I'm not here to discuss you, I'm here to discuss radios.

Frank

Old November 19th 03, 10:25 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

I am one of those firefighters who have seen some horrific scenes, and I
tell you, it would take a real cold-hearted prick to not feel something when
a scene has gotten bad as listed below. Most firefighters are caring human
beings, who are doing the job because they love the type of work and care
about their fellow man. After all, with the risk, and lack of pay that they
possibly could earn in other jobs, why else would they do that type of work?

If a firefighter is ecstatic after a scene when well, that is because the
rush of doing what they do has not been dampened by a fatality or drastic
loss.

I am man enough to admit that there has been a couple of scenes that
afterward, later that evening I actually cried a bit. The worst calls to go
on is where a kid is lost! That really gets to a person!

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote in message
Frank wrote:
Clifton T. Sharp Jr. ...
^ I've been on the scene when a firefighter saved a life
^ by pulling someone from a burning building. I've also
^ been there when firefighters cried because they couldn't
^ pull someone, or discovered a lifeless body.

^ I can tell you that the latter guys weren't crying
^ because of missed glory.

No, of course not. They behaved as most humans would. But I wasn't

talking
about how people behave in their jobs or how well they perform them.

What I
was describing is one of the primary reasons why people seek dangerous

jobs.
For glory.

Old November 21st 03, 10:49 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Dave Holford" wrote:

My favourites a

"In pursuit of xxxxxx, Northbound on Bank Street."
"That's me you're chasing."

Something very similar to that happened here about two summers ago. They
were chasing a white pick-up. One reported he was going to get in front of
the vehicle. About thirty seconds later, another said, "you're getting in
front of me. Can't you tell the difference between a white pick-up and white
SUV?" The other said, "sorry about that. What was the color of the vehicle
again?" The other screamed "it's the god d**n white pick-up right in front
of you." The other one said something in response but I didn't hear what he
said - I was too busy laughing.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old November 21st 03, 11:22 AM
Dwight Stewart

"James S. Prine" wrote:

Did you ever think that the policeman was
describing the individual as being bald on
top with gray on the sides? Of course not,
you're too busy laughing at your own 'wit'.

If's easy to sit on your ass and criticize other
people who are trying to do a serious job
without being crippled or killed doing it.

Your 'donut shop' quip was so original and
amusing, too.

You need to lighten up, James. The thought of a bald man described as
having grey hair is indeed funny, regardless of the real intent of the
description. There is no criticism of anybody in that. As for the comment
about the donut shop, Dwayne (the person who posted the "grey hair" message
you replied to with the above) didn't say that - someone else did. And,
around here, because cops still do tend to hang out at donut shops on the
night shift, those jokes still have some humor left. While local cops may be
slightly irritated by those jokes (because there may be some truth in them),
I haven't met one yet that is truly that offended.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old November 21st 03, 12:41 PM
Ghost writer

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
news
"James S. Prine" wrote:

[...]

Our local cops take a real ribbing on various things... donut shop, etc. IF
you're not using it to insinuate something, they could care less and roll
right along with you on the jokes. They too are human and like to poke fun.
They get their job done and they do it well. There are a few who don't like
them, but gee, can you guess who the crowd consists of? Those who've been
busted.
G.W.

Old November 22nd 03, 04:41 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Ghost writer" wrote:

Our local cops take a real ribbing on various
things... donut shop, etc. IF you're not using
it to insinuate something, they could care less
and roll right along with you on the jokes.
They too are human and like to poke fun.
They get their job done and they do it well.
There are a few who don't like them, but gee,
can you guess who the crowd consists of?
Those who've been busted.

Oh, I agree. Most of the cops I've met are pretty decent fellows. I got to
know a lot of the local cops one summer after I started grilling late at
night after work (two or three in the morning). Obviously, it wasn't long
before cops started driving by to see what the heck I was doing. That
eventually led to passing conversations and even to several getting out of
their cars to talk for a while. On some nights, I had three or four police
cars parked in front of my house and five or six officers sitting around the
yard talking. A couple of them even started bringing hamburger, buns, and so
on, to throw on the grill.

Of course, all of this led to some very strange looks from people driving
by (perhaps because the cops were just sitting around - a cop in uniform
grilling in the middle of the night may have looked a little strange also),
and questions from some of the neighbors, but I didn't care - I had the
safest house in town while they were there. I also knew more about what was
going on around town than most. And, finally, I also got the radio
frequencies for every police, fire, and law enforcement, agency in this part
of the State (including many frequencies I didn't even know about) and lists
of the codes they used.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old November 22nd 03, 04:55 PM
Ghost writer

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
link.net...
"Ghost writer" wrote:

[...]

Well! If they were on lunch break, what would it matter? They have to eat
too! Who knows, could be their last! I have no problem with it. The
neighbors should have felt safe too! G.W.

Old November 27th 03, 08:01 AM
Dr. John

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:49:20 GMT, "Dwight Stewart" belch-spoke these
words:

"Dave Holford" wrote:

My favourites a

"In pursuit of xxxxxx, Northbound on Bank Street."
"That's me you're chasing."

Something very similar to that happened here about two summers ago. They
were chasing a white pick-up. One reported he was going to get in front of
the vehicle. About thirty seconds later, another said, "you're getting in
front of me. Can't you tell the difference between a white pick-up and white
SUV?" The other said, "sorry about that. What was the color of the vehicle
again?" The other screamed "it's the god d**n white pick-up right in front
of you." The other one said something in response but I didn't hear what he
said - I was too busy laughing.

Priceless. How long have SUV's been around for him not to know that one was different from a p/u?

John
Old November 27th 03, 03:54 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Dr. John" wrote:

Priceless. How long have SUV's been
around for him not to know that one
was different from a p/u?

I'm sure the mix-up was one of those heat of the moment things (perhaps
someone trying a little too hard). Regardless, it was pretty darn funny at
the moment. And I'm sure all involved got ribbed about it by other officers
afterwards.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old November 27th 03, 04:16 PM
Ghost writer

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Dr. John" wrote:

Priceless. How long have SUV's been
around for him not to know that one
was different from a p/u?

I'm sure the mix-up was one of those heat of the moment things (perhaps
someone trying a little too hard). Regardless, it was pretty darn funny at
the moment. And I'm sure all involved got ribbed about it by other

officers
afterwards.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Hey, cops are humans, they can and do make mistakes like the rest of us. Our
crew here does a hell of a good job, but believe me, when one of them screws
up such as mentioned above, they don't live it down. So, they catch it from
within... And ya know, we all get a laugh out of it. They drop by the fire
station often and we all know about their escapades. If we didn't hear about
it on the scanner, we usually hear it from one of them. Of course, if we
screw up, they get on us as well. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES. As long as it
doesn't cost anyone a life, limb or property, nothing or at least not much
is lost. You learn from your mistakes and move on. That is why ALL
departments be they Police, Fire, EMS - SHOULD - critique their calls when
over. TO LEARN from any mistakes made. G.W.