Old November 15th 03, 11:56 AM
Frank

Soliloquy .. .

^ If the pay is so low, what attracts people to become
^ police anyway?

The glory. The recognition as a hero. Just look at the statement that someone
else made in response to your message:

"How many lives did you save last week?"

That is what attracts most people to dangerous jobs. If the money isn't there
then it is for the glory. So we give them their glory.

Frank

Old November 15th 03, 01:14 PM

I too worked as a civil servant, for a State agency as a matter of
fact. However, I didn't work as a firefigher or police officer--I
was a highway maintenance worker for my state's Department of
Transportation.

People here have mentioned how dangerous that firefighting and police
work are, and yes, I do agree. But, have you ever thought about how
dangerous highway maintenance work is. Not only is your health
threatened by the "everyday" work of things such as: getting squashed
by heavy equipment (2 years ago, a collegue was squashed to death when
a 20000 pound dump truck accidentally backed over him), injuring
yourself with the physically demanding work, risk of skin cancer, and
the list goes on and on, just like other jobs...

But, how many of you have ever stood in a highway lane while literally
hundreds, if not thousands, of vehicles pass by you at arms-length
distances, traveling at speeds of 65-80+ mile per hour! Traffic is
going by so often and so fast, that you as a person cannot keep track
of it.

And I've heard about job recognition, especially when a worker is
killed in the line of duty. It is a proven fact, in my State at least,
a highway worker has, by far, a more dangerous job--there are far more
highway workers injured and killed on the job than police and fire
personnel combined. Here's a thought: in my State, when a State
police officer is killed in the line of duty, he/she has a HUGE
State-sponsored memorial, and among other things, has an entire
freeway named after him/her. However, what does a highway worker get
when killed in the line of duty? His/her name included to the growing
list of a tiny 2 feet by 2 feet plaque, and that's pretty much it! No
memorial, no mention of his name in the news media...

So, these kinds of civil servants receive very little, if any,
recognition for how they put their life on the line. Not to mention
their tiny salaries, compared to the other "dangerous" civil servant
jobs out there. Public servant salaries are public record. Check
the websites of any public agency--you'll see. And yes, they do save
literally hundreds, if not thousands of lives every day (in a round
about way, of course). Would you survive if your car was swallowed up
by a 8-foot-deep sink hole while going 70 mph down the freeway? Heck,
who do you thing is usually the first on scene of a freeway crash?
Highway maintenance workers. Numerous times, I was the first on scene
to provide life-saving methods to injured persons...

But, the only public recognition we get is that "one-figered
greeting", or the blare of the horn, or even persons stopping to
threaten you. All for making them just a bit late while providing
them with an efficient means to drive their prescious vehicles.

Every job has its perks and negatives...
Old November 15th 03, 03:36 PM
James S. Prine

But, how many of you have ever stood in a highway lane while literally
hundreds, if not thousands, of vehicles pass by you at arms-length
distances, traveling at speeds of 65-80+ mile per hour!

I have, and I've never liked the experience. I well remember one afternoon,
while working a scene, that some moron sideswiped me close enough to tear my
uniform pants and knock me a few feet back from the point of impact. I was
*not* amused.

On another occasion I had my foot crushed, but managed (with difficulty) to
complete my assignment before I sought medical help.

LOL...on *another* occasion I was shot in the leg while working a protective
detail at a 'peace march'; later, my supervisor asked why I was walking 'kinda
funny' and I showed him the wound, and he chewed me out for not reporting it
earlier. No big deal.

Here's a thought: in my State, when a State
police officer is killed in the line of duty, he/she has a HUGE
State-sponsored memorial, and among other things, has an entire
freeway named after him/her.

In Louisiana, I know of a State officer who was run down and killed by a drunk
driver, and he got no memorial whatsoever.

I remember this because I used to work with him. His name was Sgt. Gilbert
Mast, and his killer, Josh Gimelstob, got the usual 'slap on the wrist'
punishment.

You can still read the specifics of that case on the Internet; I know of yet
another Louisiana officer who was stabbed to death in the line of duty, but
can't find anything on the 'net in reference to it.

Perhaps different States honor their personnel in different ways.

Not to mention
their tiny salaries, compared to the other "dangerous" civil servant
jobs out there. Public servant salaries are public record. Check
the websites of any public agency--you'll see.

So, what's your beef? In my last job, as a State police officer, I had not
only the 'regular' duties, but also had to take on the additional
responsibilities of Crime Scene Investigator, Intelligence Officer, and
High-Tech Crime Investigator, as well as Training Officer.

I got paid for one job, of course, and yes, as you see from public records, I
was paid the princely sum of $1367 a month. This was in 2002, by the way.

Plus of course I had to supply my own sidearm, ammunition, etc.

I couldn't afford the medical insurance package, so I did without it.

Yes indeed, all that 'big money' and glory out there, ripe for the taking.

Heck,
who do you thing is usually the first on scene of a freeway crash?

The drunk driver and the victim?

Every job has its perks and negatives...

That's something we both agree on g.

James S. Prine
http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/

Old November 15th 03, 08:22 PM
Ghost writer

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3ab6f$76e0cf30$0125250a@mxdulebfmqtxlczq.. .
Soliloquy .. .

^ If the pay is so low, what attracts people to become
^ police anyway?

The glory. The recognition as a hero. Just look at the statement that

someone
else made in response to your message:

"How many lives did you save last week?"

That is what attracts most people to dangerous jobs. If the money isn't

there
then it is for the glory. So we give them their glory.

Frank

For the record, there are no such things as BORN heros. NO ONE in their
right mind goes into the EMS/FIRE/POLICE service OR Military for that matter
to "BE" a hero. Usually the only "heros" are DEAD heros. ANYONE who goes in
to a scene regardless the type with the tunnel vision of becoming a hero, is
a hinderance to ALL at the scene. THEY lose track of all training, signs of
danger, and thus place themselves and/or many others in danger. SHOULD
someone save a life, they may be called a hero.. BUT YOU DON"T GO LOOKING
FOR IT. ANYONE who HAS joined the services for that reason are in it for the
WRONG reason. AND - I don't know about the other states, but here in PA, it
is at last check - 85% VOLUNTEER. WE DO NOT GET PAID to learn how to save
lives and property. Our families get little in return if we are disabled or
killed in the line of duty and we're no longer able to supply the income. WE
DO IT BECAUSE WE CARE. WE NEVER KNOW when that call minor or major as it be,
will be our last.

YOU WANT HEROS? Continue to look to the Sports arenas. THEY are too busy
trying to be heros. WE who take our jobs seriously - do NOT look to be
heros. Give us our due for doing our jobs paid or volunteer and call it a
day. G.W.

Old November 15th 03, 08:35 PM
Frank

Ghost writer ...

^ NO ONE in their right mind goes into the EMS/FIRE/POLICE
^ service OR Military for that matter to "BE" a hero.

Whether they are in their "right mind" or not, there are a great many who do.
I spent 25 years working in dangerous jobs and being an observer of people
and their behaviors I've learned that most people go into a dangerous job for
the glory they perceive it will bring them. Once they are in the job and have
gone through the education, the training, and the drills much of their desire
for glory is suppressed, but there is still enough of it there to keep them
from leaving the job.

Frank

Old November 15th 03, 08:51 PM
James S. Prine

The mystical Frank, observer of humanity, sagely penned:

I spent 25 years working in dangerous jobs and being an observer of people
and their behaviors I've learned that most people go into a dangerous job for
the glory they perceive it will bring them.

I wish you'd provide some documentation on this interesting perception of
yours. What exactly did you do, to gain this insight?

Not trying to initiate a flame-war, mind you, but your perceptions and
experiences and mine are diametrically opposed, and it piques my curiosity.

Once they are in the job and have
gone through the education, the training, and the drills much of their desire
for glory is suppressed, but there is still enough of it there to keep them
from leaving the job.

You know, I've worked for a major municipal police department, and a few
smaller agencies, over the years. Nearly all of the agencies make it clear,
*very* early in the recruiting process, that glory, acclaim, etc., etc., have
nothing whatever to do with the job and, if one is seeking that, to go
elsewhere and save everyone a lot of time and trouble.

They literally try to persuade everyone from entering the job because of the
perceptions most civilians have about the work, due mainly to television and
idiotic thriller films.

I know that recently a major city department was hiring non-sworn (civilian)
personnel to work as crime scene technicians, and of course they had these
potential employees 'browse' through a color 'scrapbook' detailing exactly what
they'd be facing on the job.

Many of them left at that point, and many others left within the first week of
on-the-job training, which was the best for everyone involved.

Glory? LOL...don't make me laugh.

Again...if you want glory, go into professional sports. Or politics g.

Old November 15th 03, 11:07 PM
James S. Prine

Ghost writer wrote:

You know, many years back, my team was called...our of our jurisdiction...to
handle an overturned 18-wheeler blocking a roadway.

When we got there, we discovered that the driver was pinned inside the cab, and
screaming for help. The tank...filled with gasoline...had split, and the
gasoline was literally pouring out and rapidly filling in the little ditch we
were working in, trying to extricate the driver.

It was an extremely interesting experience, trying to get the driver out of the
truck and continue breathing in the unbelievable fumes from the gasoline...I
was up midway to my shins at one point!

Somehow we got the guy out without anyone (including us) being incinerated; we
got him to the hospital for treatment (he did fine), and of course the entire
team had to go off duty and discard our ruined clothing.

I think my first shower was an hour long, and I smelled like a fuel farm for a
week.

We all got sick from inhaling the gasoline fumes of course, and, as a reward,
the driver slapped us with a huge civil suit!

Yes, the intense 'glory' of public service work....the heady feel of being a
'hero'....

LOL

Old November 16th 03, 02:22 AM
Ghost writer

Not sure how MY name got affixed to the story below, that certainly wasn't
MY story! Tags are getting confused here! G.W.

Old November 16th 03, 02:48 AM
Ghost writer

Just suffice it to say, there is no room in the Police, EMS, Fire OR
Military for people who "try" to be HEROES. It only ends up getting them or
others killed or seriously hurt. As I said, they in their quest, lose all
track of training, danger signals and so on.
IT DOESN'T PAY. You want to be or see a hero, look to sports. You want
glory, look to sports or Politics - as another also pointed out as well. IT
DOESN'T BELONG in the Emergency or Military areas. People may come in with
that in mind, but as one man pointed out, TRAINERS do their damndest to
chase that out of the services. WE can't stop people from seeking glory or
wanting to be a hero, but we sure don't need them either. As stated, it puts
us all at risk. When the tones go off, I do my job. Will I end up a hero? I
don't know nor do I care. I go to do the job required. Will I come back
alive or unhurt? I don't know, but I can rely on my skills to try to assure
that. I'd rather be alive to help another day than to be a hero and risk
getting myself or others killed or seriously hurt in the process.

As to budget cuts, most everyone is experiencing them. Crime is up and it
will take longer for a response from Police with fewer working. Here, even
the State Police are swamped with calls due to providing coverage in areas
where local police aren't available - plus their own State assigned areas.
They've even had response times of about 45 minutes. Calls are prioritized.
They can only do so much and if it is a nasty call, it will tie up more for
longer periods of time...

As one man pointed out, where is the "heroism or glory" of scraping up one's
remains? THERE ISN'T. I've done it a few times and it is very sad and
disgusting. If you get a "thrill" out of that, you got a serious problem.
G.W.

Old November 16th 03, 04:22 AM
James S. Prine

Not sure how MY name got affixed to the story below, that certainly wasn't
MY story! Tags are getting confused here! G.W.

Sorry about that, Ghost Writer.