RadioBanter

-   -   Pro-64 broke (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/35022-pro-64-broke.html)

JimG December 28th 03 11:08 PM

Pro-64 broke

Scans through freqs but never picks up anything. Squelch (and audio) works.
I have had this unit for several years - bought it new. Any techs here that
can tell me what I might check?

Bob Parnass December 28th 03 11:24 PM

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:08:14 +0000, JimG wrote:

Scans through freqs but never picks up anything. Squelch (and audio) works.
I have had this unit for several years - bought it new. Any techs here that
can tell me what I might check?

Check for a defective antenna or antenna jack.
The center pin in the antenna could be broken off.

Another common problem is that the center contact of
the antenna jack has become disconnected internally from
the printed circuit board.
Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Ghost Writer December 28th 03 11:29 PM

"JimG" wrote in message
Scans through freqs but never picks up anything. Squelch (and audio)

works.
I have had this unit for several years - bought it new. Any techs here

that
can tell me what I might check?

A broken antenna lead to the pc board is a good first choice. A blown RF amp
is a second, but I believe some scanners have separate rf amps - so this
may not apply. Also the IF may be defective or some other stage - to not
allow the signal to develop to be fed to the squelch/audio. A bad crystal in
the unit that sets up the receiver could be bad. G.W.

mike December 29th 03 12:45 AM

put a piece of wire in the centre pin of the BNC socket & 'buzz' test it
through the PCB to the first component (little surface mount thingy)
i have known it not to go directly at the mounting point.

mike

"JimG" wrote in message
Scans through freqs but never picks up anything. Squelch (and audio)

works.
I have had this unit for several years - bought it new. Any techs here

that
can tell me what I might check?

---