Old December 28th 03, 11:08 PM
JimG

Default Pro-64 broke

Scans through freqs but never picks up anything. Squelch (and audio) works.
I have had this unit for several years - bought it new. Any techs here that
can tell me what I might check?

Old December 28th 03, 11:24 PM
Bob Parnass

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:08:14 +0000, JimG wrote:

Scans through freqs but never picks up anything. Squelch (and audio) works.
I have had this unit for several years - bought it new. Any techs here that
can tell me what I might check?

Check for a defective antenna or antenna jack.
The center pin in the antenna could be broken off.

Another common problem is that the center contact of
the antenna jack has become disconnected internally from
the printed circuit board.
Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Old December 28th 03, 11:29 PM
Ghost Writer

"JimG" wrote in message
Scans through freqs but never picks up anything. Squelch (and audio)

works.
I have had this unit for several years - bought it new. Any techs here

that
can tell me what I might check?

A broken antenna lead to the pc board is a good first choice. A blown RF amp
is a second, but I believe some scanners have separate rf amps - so this
may not apply. Also the IF may be defective or some other stage - to not
allow the signal to develop to be fed to the squelch/audio. A bad crystal in
the unit that sets up the receiver could be bad. G.W.

Old December 28th 03, 11:32 PM
mike

2nd that, normal problem, there is not strain relief for the connector.
simple bit of soldering & it's fixed

mike

news

Old December 29th 03, 12:28 AM
JimG

Thanks for the tips Unfortunately it's not the BNC connector or
connections. Must be in the receiver. :-(

JimG

Old December 29th 03, 12:45 AM
mike

put a piece of wire in the centre pin of the BNC socket & 'buzz' test it
through the PCB to the first component (little surface mount thingy)
i have known it not to go directly at the mounting point.

mike

"JimG" wrote in message
Scans through freqs but never picks up anything. Squelch (and audio)

works.
I have had this unit for several years - bought it new. Any techs here

that
can tell me what I might check?

---

ARS License Numbers N2EY Policy 833 February 3rd 06 01:27 AM
N8WWM Busted! Broke Federal Communication Laws! Twistedhed CB 6 October 20th 03 02:01 AM
anybody know how they broke springsteen on wnew? lousy flagpins Broadcasting 0 October 15th 03 09:24 PM