Old December 30th 03, 02:32 PM
Bob

Default inmarsat receiving

Although a little off topic for the group, this is about the only
group around remotely related...

Anybody doing Inmarsat monitoring? A few years ago Inmarsat A was the
dominant mode, but it's analog. Seems Inmarsat M, a digital mode, is
now what's in vogue.

Is it worth setting up an Inmarsat receiving station? I was a
shortwave junkie in my earlier days and it seems Inmarsat has replaced
HF for lots of utility comms...

thanks all...

Bob/WF3H

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field

check my blog at:
http://www.bobview.blogspot.com/
Old January 23rd 04, 10:45 PM
john wilson

I wrote a 2 part article on monitoring and configuration a system to
receive INMARSAT for Monitoring Times magazine Feb/Mar 94. From my
location in central Va. I can receive both the Atlantic Ocean Region East
and West INMARSATs. The analog voice traffic from type A and B INMARSAT
installations of different languages is much reduced from past years.
There are lots of analog fax. A large antenna, minimally 6 ft.,
preferably 10 ft., .9db NF LNA, length of RG-6, 12VDC power supply, 20 db
in line amp, "coffee can" feed for 1500-1600 mhz., 12VDC block that passes
1500 mhz. signals and necessary type F and N connector adapters are
needed. It is assumed that a worthy receiver such as a R7000, R7100 or
AOR 3000A is available. I can supply almost all of the components but in
total, it does get expensive. The most expensive component is the low
noise amplifier. The reception rules are different when attempting to
receive microwave signals. You are correct about the trend of using
INMARSAT M terminals.

fm not receiving Patt Antenna 2 July 19th 04 02:28 PM
New Program. Receiving only antennas + Unun. Reg Edwards Antenna 1 January 29th 04 08:12 PM
Technical question for receiving TV signals by a loop Antenna David Kao Antenna 0 January 20th 04 01:14 AM
FA: RCA RC-22 RECEIVING TUBE MANUAL, 1963@$9.99- 23hrs! RLucch2098 Equipment 0 December 11th 03 03:23 AM
INMARSAT John Smith Scanner 0 November 5th 03 01:38 PM