RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna's (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/35035-antennas.html)

www.activesignals.com December 31st 03 02:38 AM

Antenna's

What kind of antenna are you using with your scanner? Presently I have
a discone mounted about 25 feet high. What is your favorite?
--
Keep the volume up

www.activesignals.com has a forum board.
www.activesignals.com for all listeners.
www.activesignals.com is a lot of fun.
www.activesignals.com is worth the look.

Ketch Hupp December 31st 03 05:02 AM

What kind of antenna are you using with your scanner? Presently I have
a discone mounted about 25 feet high. What is your favorite?

I myself love the Isotropic Antenna for scanning. The specs are amazing,
and no other antenna's specs can beat it.

Jim December 31st 03 04:19 PM

Ketch Hupp wrote:

What kind of antenna are you using with your scanner? Presently I have
a discone mounted about 25 feet high. What is your favorite?

I myself love the Isotropic Antenna for scanning. The specs are amazing,
and no other antenna's specs can beat it.

It looks good on paper but with zero dbi gain it is a poor performer.
Add some loss in the feedline and you may not even hear any static.

Ron December 31st 03 09:30 PM

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:38:34 -0500, www.activesignals.com wrote:

What kind of antenna are you using with your scanner? Presently I have
a discone mounted about 25 feet high. What is your favorite?

I usually try to match bands, 800 Mhz antennas for the Trunking scanners
that stay on 800 Mhz. and a Discone for the General Purpose scanner that
has UHF & VHF channels in it.

Ketch Hupp December 31st 03 11:18 PM

Jim Douglas wrote:

Do you use the Isotropic feed line to your unit? Until I purchased the right
feed line it did not work properly, now it's perfect!

Well, it looked good on paper, but when I tried it with the antenna, it doesn't
seem to ever meet the specs in the real world conditions as it should when you
do the math.

kevcat January 1st 04 01:08 PM

A Very Old Benelec 16 element Discone
the mast I had it on was 10 metres
the new "tower" should put it up....about the same height
but seeing as my new location is 5 metres higher and clear of most of
the houses
should be much better

I use Belden 9913 cable as well

Kev