Old December 31st 03, 02:38 AM
www.activesignals.com

Default Antenna's

What kind of antenna are you using with your scanner? Presently I have
a discone mounted about 25 feet high. What is your favorite?
--
Keep the volume up

www.activesignals.com has a forum board.
www.activesignals.com for all listeners.
www.activesignals.com is a lot of fun.
www.activesignals.com is worth the look.

Old December 31st 03, 05:02 AM
Ketch Hupp

What kind of antenna are you using with your scanner? Presently I have
a discone mounted about 25 feet high. What is your favorite?

I myself love the Isotropic Antenna for scanning. The specs are amazing,
and no other antenna's specs can beat it.

Old December 31st 03, 10:19 AM
Jim Douglas

Do you use the Isotropic feed line to your unit? Until I purchased the right
feed line it did not work properly, now it's perfect!

Old December 31st 03, 04:19 PM
Jim

Ketch Hupp wrote:

What kind of antenna are you using with your scanner? Presently I have
a discone mounted about 25 feet high. What is your favorite?

I myself love the Isotropic Antenna for scanning. The specs are amazing,
and no other antenna's specs can beat it.

It looks good on paper but with zero dbi gain it is a poor performer.
Add some loss in the feedline and you may not even hear any static.
Old December 31st 03, 09:30 PM
Ron

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:38:34 -0500, www.activesignals.com wrote:

What kind of antenna are you using with your scanner? Presently I have
a discone mounted about 25 feet high. What is your favorite?

I usually try to match bands, 800 Mhz antennas for the Trunking scanners
that stay on 800 Mhz. and a Discone for the General Purpose scanner that
has UHF & VHF channels in it.
Old December 31st 03, 11:18 PM
Ketch Hupp

Jim Douglas wrote:

Do you use the Isotropic feed line to your unit? Until I purchased the right
feed line it did not work properly, now it's perfect!

Well, it looked good on paper, but when I tried it with the antenna, it doesn't
seem to ever meet the specs in the real world conditions as it should when you
do the math.

Old January 1st 04, 03:57 AM
Nivis

Discone on 2m TV mast.

Cheep cheep cheep discontinued stock from Dickies, just a few grub screws
missing.

Old January 1st 04, 01:08 PM
kevcat

A Very Old Benelec 16 element Discone
the mast I had it on was 10 metres
the new "tower" should put it up....about the same height
but seeing as my new location is 5 metres higher and clear of most of
the houses
should be much better

I use Belden 9913 cable as well

Kev