Old January 3rd 04, 11:20 PM
Leonard Jenkins

Default Lojack questions

I frequently monitor the nationwide (well, major cities)
Lojack frequency of 173.075 Mhz here in Norh Miami, FL...

From time-to-time I can hear (fairly strong) a burst of data, about
a quarter of a second long, and repeats approx once a minute.

Their website states that Lojack beacons are activated from transmitters
placed on "Police Radio Towers".
But I recall once reading that they are activated via local FM Broadcast
stations by means of signalling on the SCA.

Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

I would suspect that Lojack tells the public that activation is from
the "Police Radio Towers" to give the public that "Warm and fuzzy, confident"
feeling...

Does anyone know if ANY activity heard on 173.075 is indeed activated
Lojack devices, or maybe am I hearing messages being sent out to activate
the units ?

Can anyone share any experiences of having reported to their police, sheriff,
or state highway patrol, reception of a activated Lojack?

Are there any law enforcement officers that can comment what a activated
Lojack would sound like?
Old January 4th 04, 12:24 AM
GT Grand Prix 00

Maybe its just me, but couldn't you find other interesting things to listen to?

Old January 5th 04, 04:24 AM
DxxxxxBxx

This sounds interesting to me. Unfortunately, we don't have LoJack in
our area. Their service area is rather limited according to their web
site.

Here's some interesting reading:
Initial test authorization info...
http://profs.lp.findlaw.com/communic...unicate_6.html

Indication it's activated by FM subcarrier...
http://www.tscm.com/bugfrqmfr.html

Listen to what it sounds like...
http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/lojack.wav

On 04 Jan 2004 00:24:42 GMT, (GT Grand Prix 00)
wrote:

Maybe its just me, but couldn't you find other interesting things to listen to?

Spammers, please send email to:

and get your SMTP server blacklisted!
Old January 23rd 04, 10:51 PM
john wilson

In Virginia there are 4 licensed lojack tower operations. ALL are located on
the north/south I95 corridor. So if one steals a car so equipped avoid I95.
Some VSP cars have Lojack equipment and it does work. I recall more than one
occasion hearing of stolen vehicles triggering the VSP lojack receivers and
catching the crooks. The VSP lojack equipped cars in addition to the other
antennas have 4 vhf 1/4 wave vertical antennas cut for 170 mhz. They serve as a
crude form of direction finding.

Leonard Jenkins wrote:

I frequently monitor the nationwide (well, major cities)
Lojack frequency of 173.075 Mhz here in Norh Miami, FL...

From time-to-time I can hear (fairly strong) a burst of data, about

Old January 24th 04, 05:06 AM
Eddie Haskel

The "Lojack" units listen on the same frequency the transmit on. If your
hearing one every 60 seconds or so, your hearing a base station polling the
mobiles. Lojack has two transmit modes...every 10 seconds and once a second.
Transmit rate is stepped up once a law enforcement unit picks up the
alphanumeric beacon. Local FM SCA carriers have NEVER been used to control
anything with Lojack.
The Lojack transponder is activated ONLY after the car is entered as a
"Stolen" in the database....Eddie

Leonard Jenkins wrote:

I frequently monitor the nationwide (well, major cities)
Lojack frequency of 173.075 Mhz here in Norh Miami, FL...

From time-to-time I can hear (fairly strong) a burst of data, about
[...]

AR88 Restoration project: Some Questions. joe landy Boatanchors 6 November 26th 04 03:10 PM
Extra Class License Study Material Drink Antenna 13 February 19th 04 08:29 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM