Old January 8th 04, 10:21 AM
Gary Whittle

Default New scanner purchased...thoughts?

Hello,

New to radio scanners, friend got one so I want to see what all the fuss is
about.
I have bought this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...moduleno=31215
Its an Alinco DJ-X3. Is this any good? Should arrive Tuesday. Will be
tuning into the local frequencies here in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Thanks,

Gary.

Old January 8th 04, 01:00 PM
Bill Crocker

Not a bad scanner, but it would not be my first choice. To begin with,
Alinco support is one of the worst in the industry, in my experience. The
DJ-X3 does not have any trunking, or digital capability, which may, or may
not, limit your listening oportunities, depending on your area, and
interest. It's over priced.

Bill Crocker

Old January 9th 04, 10:20 PM
Soliloquy

"Gary Whittle" wrote in
:

Nothing like merciful people to help assuage your anxieties about your
new purchase.

I had problems with my Yaesu VX-5R transceiver. When it went through
Yaesu for repair, they finished it quickly enough, but they were moving
their facility and could not ship it until the computer was online again.
I was incredulous, they had the repaired radio, and they knew where it
was, but could not ship it until things were convenient for them. Ahem.
Yes, I see. Anyway, I talked to a manager and told him that I think that
their inability to handle this technicality reflected negatively on
Yaesu. He said "yeah, well I don't". Nice, I'm the customer and I get an
arrogant unmotivated manager. Hopefully this manager has sufficient money
to purchase the bulk of the radios from Yaesu, apparently he doesn't feel
that the customers are necessary.

I had problems with my Uniden radio and called the parts department. When
it was apparent that they weren't really trying to solve my dilemma, I
asked for the person's name that I was speaking with. She replied "you
don't need to know my name" and hung up.

So much for support from other manufacturers.

Of the radio, I have the Alinco DJ-X10T. Superb. I also have the Yaesu
VX-5R Transceiver and the Yaesu VR-500 Receiver.

For reception purposes, I prefer the Alinco over the other 2. I live in
an area saturated with intermod interference, and the Alinco, when
properly set up, functions with little to no problems from intermod. The
Yaesu VR-500 is the next best performer. The Yaesu VX-5R is absolutely
consumed by intermod.

Of the model that you bought, the Bug Detector and Audio Descrambler look
like interesting features, post your success with these. The SMA antenna
is a pain in the butt, it makes it a little more difficult to use other
antennas on the radio, but adapters are available.

Good luck and enjoy.

--
Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.
Old January 11th 04, 08:05 AM
jmacdon

Gary,
Once you get your new radio, check out this site:

And here in the States , this site is a great resources.

http://www.strongsignals.net/index.cgi

If you were posting from across the pond, it would help to
go to the FREQUENCY and TRUNK boards. Look down the bottom
of th boards, below the message pain, to see what types of systems are on the
air in your area.

The links to other sites, at the bottom of the boards may support
international
radio work , so look down there!

Jim

Old January 11th 04, 09:42 AM
Jim Mac Donald

Here's two sits with some information that may be of
use for folks around Europe:

http://www.tbsa.com.au/trunk.html

http://www.tetrascanner.com/

And if you guys like air shows:

http://www.militaryairshows.co.uk/freq2.htm

Hope you enjoy your new radio, this is a great hobby
once the receiver is purchased,ere isn't much more
to buy.

If your going to do much HF that is Short-wave listening ,try
adding an ANTENNA TUNER ( this gos in between the radie- long wire antenna) and
50' to 100' feet of copper wire. This will help pull in the weak stations
operating on HF!

Jim

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
Scanner FAQ... Jon Greenstein Scanner 2 October 2nd 03 03:55 PM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM