RadioBanter

-   -   Newbie in Madison WI-Help (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/35636-newbie-madison-wi-help.html)

TlgtrProd April 15th 04 02:28 PM

Newbie in Madison WI-Help

Just got a scanner, and I finally understand how to program it. But I am
overwhelmed by the sheer number of frequencies. Is there anyone out there who
could give me a list of what numbers to put in for Madison Police and Fire?

Kevin (aka tlgtr)
****
Zip slowly, medical statistics show that over 100,000 people are injured
annually by their clothing.

TlgtrProd April 15th 04 08:55 PM

I was hoping someon just had a short list....

Kevin (aka tlgtr)
****

Volker Tonn April 15th 04 09:34 PM

TlgtrProd schrieb:

I was hoping someon just had a short list....

Take your scanner for what it's made: scanning :-)

J999w April 15th 04 11:22 PM

Plug in a bunch of frequencies and listen to them. Delete what's not too
active, and move on. However, don't moan when something big happens and they
all go to "F2" and you don't have it programmed ! Experience is the only way
you'll find out what you like or don't, go for it.

:^]

jw
milwaukee

Jesse April 16th 04 04:00 AM

ospam (TlgtrProd) wrote in
:

Just got a scanner, and I finally understand how to program it. But I
am overwhelmed by the sheer number of frequencies. Is there anyone out
there who could give me a list of what numbers to put in for Madison
Police and Fire?

Kevin (aka tlgtr)
****

Don't do yourself a dis-service by taking the easy way out.
Find out the bands that public safety services typically operate - And scan.
Search. Find them nuggets yourself. Thats the only way you'll ever grow into
the hobby.
Keep a log as you go along,writing down the freqs and what you think they
are.
Enter the known good ones into memory - Enter the ones your not sure about
into an experimental bank.
If you really must,just go to radio shack and get a copy of police call,but
don't take it as gospel that thats all there is to listen to.

TlgtrProd April 16th 04 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I did manage to find a friend that had a scanner
and he was able to give me a 'basic' list to start from. I actually do have
'Police Call' the problem I was having was just an overload of stuff-just
didn't know where to start from. I now have the basic stuff in and can start
adding and experimenting. (That and he showed me how to read the stuff in
Police Call so I know what I am looking at. Just getting back into the
hobby...after 20 years or so since I had my little Radio Shack 4 channels
scanner with crystals and the red LED's....now for sale as an antique...

Kevin (aka tlgtr)
****

N8KDV April 16th 04 05:54 PM

TlgtrProd wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. I did manage to find a friend that had a scanner
and he was able to give me a 'basic' list to start from. I actually do have
'Police Call' the problem I was having was just an overload of stuff-just
didn't know where to start from. I now have the basic stuff in and can start
adding and experimenting. (That and he showed me how to read the stuff in
Police Call so I know what I am looking at. Just getting back into the
hobby...after 20 years or so since I had my little Radio Shack 4 channels
scanner with crystals and the red LED's....now for sale as an antique...

Welcome back to the hobby.