RadioBanter

-   -   Winradio WR-1550e or Icom PCR-1000 (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/35728-winradio-wr-1550e-icom-pcr-1000-a.html)

Dwayne May 8th 04 12:15 AM

Winradio WR-1550e or Icom PCR-1000

Going to Dayton next week and I am wondering which of these radios is
the best bet to get. I don't hear much talk about winradio anymore. Will
the Icom trunktrack like the winradio does?

David Clark May 8th 04 03:36 AM

On Fri, 07 May 2004 23:15:13 GMT, Dwayne wrote:

Going to Dayton next week and I am wondering which of these radios is
the best bet to get. I don't hear much talk about winradio anymore.

And where have you been hiding? :-) It is a well known fact that Icom
does not support the PCR1000 anymore and is letting it quietly die,
while WinRadio keeps releasing new products all the time. Compare
their Web sites and you shall see...

Will the Icom trunktrack like the winradio does?

Maybe only with third party software, on which Icom is now relying
entirely.

I have both PCR1000 and WR1550e, and the Icom has been collecting dust
since I acquired the WinRadio - much better.

David

Dwayne May 8th 04 04:08 AM

In article 409c4668.6527115@news-server, says...

And where have you been hiding?

I haven't been hiding anywhere. I just never looked into these radios
until now.

Maybe only with third party software, on which Icom is now relying
entirely.

So are you saying that there is software out there for trunking?

I have both PCR1000 and WR1550e, and the Icom has been collecting dust
since I acquired the WinRadio - much better.

Then you should sell me the Icom for cheap :) Say $200

Panzer240 May 8th 04 07:06 AM

Dwayne wrote in
.net:

In article 409c4668.6527115@news-server, says...

And where have you been hiding?

I haven't been hiding anywhere. I just never looked into these radios
until now.

Maybe only with third party software, on which Icom is now relying
entirely.

So are you saying that there is software out there for trunking?

I have had great success using Trunk Tracker for the PCR-1000. Works just
fine :)

Take a look at :

http://104452.home.icq.com/trunkpcr/TrunkPcr.html

Been a while since an update has been released, but this version works
fine for me. :)

--
Panzer

Spectre May 9th 04 04:03 PM

Here is one thing that bothers the hell out of me why are these receiver
cards built on ISA cards instead of PCI cards? Who the hell has an ISA card
slot in their computer? I mean come on PCI-X is almost here across the
board. ISA is ancient technology and its what keeps be from getting this
type of receiver.

"Panzer240" wrote in message
Dwayne wrote in
.net:

Bill Crocker May 9th 04 04:52 PM

Neither the WR-1550e, or the PCR-1000, are built on ISA cards. Both these
models are external devices, that communicate to the computer via an RS232
serial port.

WiNRADiO does offer the internal card version, and as you say, it is on an
ISA card. Icom, to my knowledge, never offered an internal one. WiNRAiO
does make a shortwave receiver, on a PCI card...finally!

Icom ships the PCR-1000 with Bonito's software now.

I've always preferred the PCR-1000, over the WR-1550e. From a software
point, they both could use improvement.

Bill Crocker

. ..

Panzer240 May 9th 04 06:03 PM

"Bill Crocker" wrote in
:

Icom ships the PCR-1000 with Bonito's software now.

I've always preferred the PCR-1000, over the WR-1550e. From a software
point, they both could use improvement.

Bill Crocker

The Bonito software is cack IMHO. No support, many bugs and definitely
some of the worst available for the PCR-1000. Icom software while berift
of features, at least works ;) There are others out there, TakPCR e.g.
that are much better. But I do agree there is room for improvement. Mostly
it is a fuyn radio to have amd play woth and there are some neat things
you can do with it and some of the sound card software out there. PEople
get a kick out of seeing the digital pager messages flowing by on the
screen for example ;)

--
Panzer

David Clark May 10th 04 12:18 PM

On Sun, 9 May 2004 11:52:59 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
wrote:

Neither the WR-1550e, or the PCR-1000, are built on ISA cards. Both these
models are external devices, that communicate to the computer via an RS232
serial port.

The WR-1550e also has an additional PCMCIA connector for which you can
buy an optional PCMCIA adapter. There is also an optional USB adapter.

I've always preferred the PCR-1000, over the WR-1550e. From a software
point, they both could use improvement.

Everything could surely use improvement, but comparing the Icom
software with WinRadio software is like comparing a bicycle to a
Mercedes. There is simply no comparison: The Icom software is crude
and primitive, almost childish. It would surely look great on a chunky
graphics Commodore computer of the early eighties.
And has Icom finally managed to make it work on Windows XP?

WinRadio software is beautifully crafted and works perfectly on all
versions of Windows (and has been working perfectly on Windows 2000
and XP since the day they were introduced). You get plenty of ongoing
support, many options (digital signal processing, decoding, trunking,
database), dozens of free plug-ins for all sorts of applications
(http://xrs.winradio.com), Linux support, Mac support, and even a free
"Radio Basic" interpreter (http://www.rbasic.com) . Which other radio
manufacturer gives you all that?

Sure, any additional improvement would always be great. But all this
is already a thousand times more impressive than whatever crap Icom
has managed to provide so far, for their one and only PC-based
product.

David

Dwayne May 10th 04 09:38 PM

On Sat, 08 May 2004 03:08:20 GMT, Dwayne wrote:

In article 409c4668.6527115@news-server, says...

And where have you been hiding?

I haven't been hiding anywhere. I just never looked into these radios
until now.

Maybe only with third party software, on which Icom is now relying
entirely.

So are you saying that there is software out there for trunking?

I have both PCR1000 and WR1550e, and the Icom has been collecting dust
since I acquired the WinRadio - much better.

Then you should sell me the Icom for cheap :) Say $200

David I guess your no answer means that you dont want to take me up on
my offer.

Ken May 10th 04 10:19 PM

I've got an Icom PCR1000 running under Windows XP Pro and it works
flawlessly! I used the same software under Win95 & 98 with no problems at
all. I also have trunking, using TrunkPCR software working flawlessly on
the same XP machine. I've tried other software programs and always ended up
going back to the icom software. With the DSP module installed and a
discone antenna the Icom is hard to beat.