Old June 2nd 04, 01:21 AM
DougSlug

Default AOR AR8600MkII - SSB and AM Collins Filters

I am considering replacing the SSB and AM filters in my AOR AR8600MkII with
the optional Collins filters, so I am seeking feedback on whether or not
this is a worthwhile upgrade. To anyone who has done this upgrade: What, if
any, improvements did you notice in HF and/or AM broadcast performance? I
listen to HF amateur comms (including SSB phone, CW and decoding of PSK31)
and SW broadcast fairly regularly...could I expect any major improvements in
those applications with the better filters installed?

Also, the AOR technical bulletin on the optional filters warns that the 6
kHz AM filter may be too narrow for HVF Air Band use ("where the centre
frequencies can be offset by a few kHz"). Has anyone encountered such a
problem?

Thanks,
Doug

Old June 2nd 04, 09:37 PM
Ron Ott

I have the same interest in the Collins filters because they have
steeper and, presumably, deeper skirts.

Re the air bands, I thought the AR8600MkII had the correct step
programming for that band. If you're "on frequency", there should be
no problem with the filters. The wider filters would be better if
you're "off frequency" because your radio is scanning with the wrong
step intervals.
Old June 3rd 04, 12:14 AM
DougSlug

Actually, I think the technical bulletin was implying that the transmitters
may sometimes be off frequency. Since I don't often monitor the air band, I
don't know if this is a common problem.

om...

Old June 4th 04, 01:22 AM
Bruce

"DougSlug" wrote in message . net...
Actually, I think the technical bulletin was implying that the transmitters
may sometimes be off frequency. Since I don't often monitor the air band, I
don't know if this is a common problem.

"Ron Ott" wrote in message
om...
I have the same interest in the Collins filters because they have
steeper and, presumably, deeper skirts.

Re the air bands, I thought the AR8600MkII had the correct step
programming for that band. If you're "on frequency", there should be
no problem with the filters. The wider filters would be better if
you're "off frequency" because your radio is scanning with the wrong
step intervals.

I have a plain 8600 with all the optional filters and I would not
recommend the Collins AM filter. Due to its "deeper skirt" AM
reception is a bit tinny and more harsh than the stock AM filter, I
find that listening to Milair and VHF aero can become a bit of an
effort after an hour or so. This is even the case with exteranl
speakers, although when it is connected to a Icom SP-20 it does become
bearable.
Old June 4th 04, 02:09 AM
DougSlug

Thanks for the feedback, Bruce. I was a little concerned about the AM
filter being too narrow for AM broadcast; however, I'm wondering if it helps
with SW broadcast due to better rejection of adjacent stations. How about
the SSB filter? How would you characterize the performance of that one
versus the stock filter?

- Doug

om...