Old July 7th 04, 09:18 AM
Svein Tore Sølvik

Default Antenna for cars

Got myself a Volvo 850 wagon, and a scanner to have inside it, but I don't
know what to do to have a decent reception. But I don't want some ugly
antenna on top, so I want either a glass antenna, something I can paint,
or an antenna to have inside the car.

So do you have any suggestions?
--
Svein Tore Sølvik
Old July 8th 04, 12:09 AM
Phil

Hi,

I used a splitter on the regular AM/FM antenna with pretty
good results. It is pretty simple to install. Just unplug
the antenna from the AM/FM radio and plug it into the
splitter. You must then connect one output to the AM/FM radio
and the other output to the scanner. The splitter I had
had two "Motorola" jacks (same as on the AM/FM car radio) for
outputs, so I made a short cable with that type of plug to
connect to the AM/FM radio. I made another cable with the
same type of plug on one end and a BNC connector on the other
for the scanner antenna connection.

My car had a standard "whip" type antenna and not an in-glass
antenna. I don't know if that type of antenna would work well
or not. I am also not familiar with Volvo's so that may not be
a problem.

Good luck and don't be afraid to try anything. You may be
surprised how well unconventional antennae work. Be sure to
post the results of what you did and how it works.

Phil

Svein Tore Sølvik wrote in
:

Old July 8th 04, 12:17 AM
Svein Tore Sølvik

[Phil] (Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:09:14 -0500):

My car had a standard "whip" type antenna and not an in-glass
antenna. I don't know if that type of antenna would work well
or not. I am also not familiar with Volvo's so that may not be
a problem.

My car has the in-glass solution, but I'll try it.
Normal radio reception is excellent, so it might work.

I'll let you know what I do..
--
Svein Tore Sølvik