Old July 11th 04, 05:00 PM
Donald K

Default Cheap scanner w/ 600 MHz

Could somebody recommend a cheap scanner that covers 600 MHz?

I'd like an auxilary radio in the shack to listen for the ISS beacons.

Thanks,

-Donald
--
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable
Old July 12th 04, 02:03 AM
Mediaguy500

Could somebody recommend a cheap scanner that covers 600 MHz?

I'd like an auxilary radio in the shack to listen for the ISS beacons.

that's news to me. Since that's part of the regular UHF tv station band.

I never knew that there were ISS beacons right in the regular UHF TV band.

But then again, for a long time, I never knew that there were regular two way
land mobile communications right in the regular UHF tv band in certain cities.

I think I'll look up ISS beacons now.

My scanner does cover the 600 mhz range. However, I don't reccomend my scanner
for that range. Get something better than what I have.

I have an IC-R3, but I do NOT reccomend it as the best for the 600 mhz range.
Plus it has a lot of birdies in it.

I'm sure you can find a better scanner than that for the 600 mhz range for
cheaper which is also more sensitive than that.

I'm not sure what the best scanners are today.
Someone else in this newsgroup can probably help you better as to what to get.
for listening to that range.

I'm just telling you what I think you should probably avoid for listening to
that range.

in my opinion.

Old July 12th 04, 07:32 AM
Donald K

Mediaguy500 wrote:

Could somebody recommend a cheap scanner that covers 600 MHz?

I'd like an auxilary radio in the shack to listen for the ISS beacons.

that's news to me. Since that's part of the regular UHF tv station
band.

I never knew that there were ISS beacons right in the regular UHF TV
band.

But then again, for a long time, I never knew that there were regular
two way land mobile communications right in the regular UHF tv band in
certain cities.

I think I'll look up ISS beacons now.

OK, Satscape lists two ISS beacons: one at 628 and one at 632 (MHz).

Good info here.
http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/radioind/...rradio.htm#FGB

Hummm... They're putting out 3.5W on 130.167 during EVA?

That... [beep] could be... [beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep,
beep] REALLY cool [beep]. Now I just need to attach it to the good
antenna and a recorder when they might go EVA...

-Donald
Old July 14th 04, 01:17 AM
Name

"Donald K" wrote in message
Could somebody recommend a cheap scanner that covers 600 MHz?

The Pro-26 allows direct freq entries in the 600MHz range in either
WFM or NFM. I have seen used ones for sale the odd time, so you
should be able to pick one up cheap enough, or you could put a
WTB request out for one. -Ron

Old July 14th 04, 06:08 AM
Donald K

Name wrote:

"Donald K" wrote in message
Could somebody recommend a cheap scanner that covers 600 MHz?

..
The Pro-26 allows direct freq entries in the 600MHz range in either
WFM or NFM. I have seen used ones for sale the odd time, so you
should be able to pick one up cheap enough, or you could put a
WTB request out for one. -Ron

Yet one more thing to add to the daily ebay search list.

Thanks!

-Donald

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM
Great mobile scanner antenna - and cheap ! J999w Scanner 1 July 24th 03 05:05 AM