Old July 15th 04, 12:43 AM
americanflag9190

Default use for an old scanner

What special use vesides the regular police, fire, etc. could I use this old
Uniden BC142XL?
Is (or was) this a good scanner?

Old July 15th 04, 01:20 AM
DougSlug

Monitor some of the FRS/GMRS/MURS channels if you're near a mall or
recreational attraction
Dedicated NOAA weather receiver
Monitor VHF marine channel 16 if you're near the ocean
Listen to baby monitors and older style cordless telephones

Looks like it was a half decent product in its day...

Old July 15th 04, 09:44 PM
Ronny Julian

I've got one. I use it to monitor the maintenance and rental office in my
apartment complex as well as Amateur repeaters for ARES. I feel allot
better leaving a scanner at the office than an HT. I am changing mine over
to a BNC connector because the standard one is so worn the antennas fall
over.

If this gives you no good ideas you could always send it to me in exchange
for $$ or something else I may have. Always room for another conventional
scanner around here. Its a great little scanner.

Ronny K4RJJ

Old July 16th 04, 02:06 AM
americanflag9190

Also it says UHF-T 470-512 is that TV? It has a lot of Federal Government
what is that used for?
"americanflag9190" wrote in message
It says it can monitor the military band what is that good for?
et...

Old July 16th 04, 04:02 AM
DougSlug

You need to spend some time reading up on the topic...it's easier than
asking specific questions one at a time like this...
I'd suggest starting at: http://strongsignals.net/access/content/faf.html

- Doug

"americanflag9190" wrote in message
Also it says UHF-T 470-512 is that TV? It has a lot of Federal Government
what is that used for?
"americanflag9190" wrote in

message
It says it can monitor the military band what is that good for?
et...

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
Scanner FAQ... Jon Greenstein Scanner 2 October 2nd 03 03:55 PM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM