Old August 17th 04, 03:38 PM
Robert11

Default "FM" Or "NFM" For Coast Guard Freq's ?

Hello:

Setting up my scanner.

For the Coast Guard frequencies around 156 and 164 MHz, do I want to set
the mode as "FM" or "NFM" ?

Might as well also ask: In general, where are each used ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old August 17th 04, 05:20 PM
Volker Tonn

Robert11 schrieb:
Hello:

Setting up my scanner.

For the Coast Guard frequencies around 156 and 164 MHz, do I want to set
the mode as "FM" or "NFM" ?

Might as well also ask: In general, where are each used ?

(W)FM with BW of around 200khz is regulary used only for radio and TV
broadcasst.

(N)FM transmission have BW of 12-16khz and 20 or 25 khz channel spacing
in very most cases. One exception for example are (NOAA-)weather
satellites using BW of 30-35khz.

Old August 18th 04, 06:00 PM
Tom S

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:38:10 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Setting up my scanner.

For the Coast Guard frequencies around 156 and 164 MHz, do I want to set
the mode as "FM" or "NFM" ?

Might as well also ask: In general, where are each used ?

Go narrow. If it sounds distorted go to wide.