Old August 22nd 04, 06:06 PM
JunkMan

Default Radio Shack PRO-96

Anyone have this PRO-96?? I am looking into buying one and would like to
know haw you like it? I understand that it has a lot of pre program trunk
systems built in to the radio. Do you find this useful? The Uniden that has
the digital card built in costs more, Is it worth it.

I thank you for any information you can give me good or bad.

Mike in California

Old August 23rd 04, 07:52 PM
JunkMan

I went to the RS store in the Palmdale mall today. Just got back.
The guy in the store did not know what the PRO-96 is. He had to look it up
on the computer. So to try to find out anything like the version 1.1, 1.2
or 1.3. or any questions on how to run it is not going to happen. This kind
of stuff is why I try to not buy Radio Shack stuff. But I keep hearing the
PRO-96 is a good scanner so if I can find some Radio Shack guy that knows a
little something I will get one.
I would get one from E Bay or other on line store but I can't know what
version it is.

Old August 23rd 04, 11:21 PM
Jim

I took my PRO-96 back. A scanner for $500.00 with no military air coverage?
There is also a CPU bug (Just like the Pro-93) concerning talkgroups and
when Radio Shack was contacted asking about
a fix. They played dumb. I would go with a Uniden BC296.

Old August 24th 04, 02:20 PM
John L. Wilkerson Jr.

"JunkMan" wrote in
:

I went to the RS store in the Palmdale mall today. Just got back.
The guy in the store did not know what the PRO-96 is. He had to look
it up
on the computer. So to try to find out anything like the version 1.1,
1.2 or 1.3. or any questions on how to run it is not going to happen.
This kind of stuff is why I try to not buy Radio Shack stuff. But I
keep hearing the PRO-96 is a good scanner so if I can find some Radio
Shack guy that knows a little something I will get one.
I would get one from E Bay or other on line store but I can't know
what
version it is.

From what I understand isn't the pro-96 flash upgradeable? Can't you just
download the 1.3 firmware and eliminate all the hassle?

Old August 25th 04, 01:55 AM
blablabla

Correct, Pro96 is junk, the 296 rulez and much better PC software available.

You can not upgrade pro96 in the field, you must send it back to RS! Uniden
is field upgradable!
RS really lost it this time...

news5uWc.11059$IO1.5110@trndny03...