Old September 3rd 04, 01:34 PM
Jim

Default Which one is a better scanner and why?

Scanner A sensitivity:
160 MHz ~ 370 MHz AM 1.0 uV (10 dB SINAD)
SSB/CW 0.5 uV (10 dB S/N)
NFM 0.5 uV (12 dB SINAD)
WFM 1.5 uV (12 dB SINAD)
370 MHz ~ 520 MHz SSB/CW 0.5 uV (10 dB S/N)
NFM 0.5 uV (12 dB SINAD)
WFM 1.8 uV (12 dB SINAD)

Scanner B sensitivity:
50 MHz ~ 700 MHz AM 1.0 uV (10 dB S/N)
SSB/CW 0.2 uV (10 dB S/N)
NFM 0.32uV (12 dB SINAD)
WFM 0.79uV (12 dB SINAD)

Me thinks scanner B is better. Am I right?
Could someone enlighten me?
Thanks in advance.
-Jim

("u" meaning micro)
Old September 3rd 04, 01:44 PM
Matt

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
Scanner A sensitivity:
160 MHz ~ 370 MHz AM 1.0 uV (10 dB SINAD)
SSB/CW 0.5 uV (10 dB S/N)
NFM 0.5 uV (12 dB SINAD)
WFM 1.5 uV (12 dB SINAD)
370 MHz ~ 520 MHz SSB/CW 0.5 uV (10 dB S/N)
NFM 0.5 uV (12 dB SINAD)
WFM 1.8 uV (12 dB SINAD)

Scanner B sensitivity:
50 MHz ~ 700 MHz AM 1.0 uV (10 dB S/N)
SSB/CW 0.2 uV (10 dB S/N)
NFM 0.32uV (12 dB SINAD)
WFM 0.79uV (12 dB SINAD)

Me thinks scanner B is better. Am I right?
Could someone enlighten me?
Thanks in advance.
-Jim

("u" meaning micro)

The second set of figures cetainly indicate a much more sensitive receiver,
but there is no indication as to the selectivity of the radio - i.e. how
well it handles strong transmissions from adjacent frequencies whilst still
being able to receive the desired frequency. You would also have to compare
numbers of channels, frequency coverage, cost, ease of use, how well
constructed the radio is, and whether you like it's ergonomics in order to
determine if it is the best for you.

Matt