Old September 7th 04, 01:09 AM
Clocker

Default Scanner Recommendation for Home Use

Hello-

My brother-in-law is a police officer in a close by neighboring city.
I'd like to purchase a scanner I can use to monitor his communications
while he's at work so I know what's going with him and in my city.
What's a good scanner for me to buy? I'd primarily use it while at
home. I guess portability might be useful at some point so if you
could recommend a stationary as well as a mobile unit, that would be
great.

Thanks,
Clocker
Old September 7th 04, 02:25 AM
Alex Clayton

"Clocker" wrote in message
m...
Hello-

My brother-in-law is a police officer in a close by neighboring city.
I'd like to purchase a scanner I can use to monitor his communications
while he's at work so I know what's going with him and in my city.
What's a good scanner for me to buy? I'd primarily use it while at
home. I guess portability might be useful at some point so if you
could recommend a stationary as well as a mobile unit, that would be
great.

Thanks,
Clocker

Pro-95 works great for most. If you list what city you are trying to listen
to, someone can probably tell you what system they use.
Mine works great inside as well as out, just use rechargeable batteries,
as it goes through them fast.
--
25% graduate functional illiterates. We should remove the warning labels
from everything and let nature take care of the problem.

Old September 7th 04, 03:15 PM
Clocker

The cities I'm interested in are Sterling Heights, Michigan and Warren, Michigan.

Thanks,
Clocker

Old September 7th 04, 04:21 PM
Alex Clayton

"Clocker" wrote in message
om...
The cities I'm interested in are Sterling Heights, Michigan and Warren,
Michigan.

Thanks,
Clocker

http://www.police-scanner.info/index.htm

The above makes a good place to start to find out what kind of service is in
the cities you are after, assuming no one here helps. I used this site to
get the trunking to work here, as we are switching over. If you get the 95,
the manual can be hard to understand. I was having a hell of a time with
mine, no one was either willing or able to help. I finally figured it out
after much frustration G.
Before you buy one though make sure what kind of service is in the cities
you wish to listen to.

Old September 9th 04, 12:59 PM
SpazMaTaz

Clocker,
I'm in Sterling Heights too. The following is the best resource
I've found for scanner frequencies and related stories.

http://www.bouwkamp.net/miscanner/#welcome

For this area, most municipalities are still on analog systems. The
only exceptions (that I'm aware of) are the MI State Police and Shelby
Township, who both use the MSP's digital system. You would need an
APCO 25 capable receiver to pick these up. Macomb County is
rumored/proposing to go digital by 2006, as is Wayne county sheriff.
You may need to consider a digital capable scanner.

Currently, macomb county sheriff is analog and provides law
enforcement for all the small townships (Washington, Ray, Macomb,
Richmond, etc...) Sterling Heights is still analog too. Just 3 main
frequencies and you've you've got SH PD and fire covered. Warren is
using a motorola trunked system (not sure what type) so a trunking
scanner would be useful for Warren. I can follow it pretty well on my
non-trunking PRO-51, since it is still an analog 800 Mhz system,
albeit trunked.

If you want to be mobile (ie. scanner in your car) note that it is
illegal to carry a scanner in your car, in Michigan, UNLESS you are
licensed amateur (HAM) or have a permit from the MSP. The permit is
free and you merely have to apply for it with this form.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/com-022_8561_7.pdf

Check out the website. It has a lot of good information to consider
when choosing a scanner.

Hope this helps.
Spaz