Old October 16th 04, 03:51 AM
Evan Platt

Default Pro-93 v.s. Pro-94?

I'm looking at either one of the above scanners, 93 v.s. 94. It
appears the 93 would be the way to go having alpha tags. Yes, less
channels, but Idoubt I'd need more than 300. Maybe I would though.

Is there any compelling reason to go for the 94? I'd like alpha, but
could live without it. The 94 is on sale at Le Shack for $119, and
I'm looking for a 93. Just missed one on eBay for $100.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

Evan

Old October 16th 04, 04:36 PM
Bruce Markowitz

If you need more channels go for the 95.
WAY superior to the 94, don't even cosider the 94

Old October 16th 04, 06:40 PM
Evan Platt

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:36:27 -0400, "Bruce Markowitz"
wrote:

If you need more channels go for the 95.
WAY superior to the 94, don't even cosider the 94

What cable does the 95 use? Any chance a standard cable I may already
have, i.e. for a Yaesu VX-10 or such?

Oh, and what's the software called?

Thanks.

Evan

Old October 16th 04, 10:23 PM
Bruce Markowitz

Yes, I have a CT29a which is for the Icom/Yaesu etc. it works with the
92/93/95/96 with the addition of a stereo/mono adaptor.
www.starrsoft.com for free programming software!

Old October 24th 04, 11:43 PM
Al Klein

wrote:

If you need more channels go for the 95.
WAY superior to the 94, don't even cosider the 94

What cable does the 95 use? Any chance a standard cable I may already
have, i.e. for a Yaesu VX-10 or such?

My cable for the VX-5 works perfectly with a stereo-mono adapter.
(the RS cable doesn't work with my laptop and USB-RS232 adapter). If
your cable came with ADMS, just pop off the stereo-4-pin adapter and
use a stereo-mono adapter ($3 at RS).

Oh, and what's the software called?

Win95 works nicely, although I wish Don would release the source -
there are a number of changes I'd like to make. Or at least release
the protocol. (No program is perfect, except the one you write
yourself.) http://www.starrsoft.com/freeware/win95/default.asp

Old October 25th 04, 12:11 AM
Frank346

"Al Klein" wrote in message

Win95 works nicely, although I wish Don would release the source -
there are a number of changes I'd like to make. Or at least release
the protocol. (No program is perfect, except the one you write
yourself.) http://www.starrsoft.com/freeware/win95/default.asp

The protocol is Radio Shack proprietary and Don can't release it or his
program source file. You have to contact Radio Shack directly and negotiate
a license. If you post what program changes you want, maybe Don would
consider them.

Old October 26th 04, 02:18 AM
Al Klein

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:11:24 GMT, "Frank346"
said in rec.radio.scanner:

"Al Klein" wrote in message
.. .

Win95 works nicely, although I wish Don would release the source -
there are a number of changes I'd like to make. Or at least release
the protocol. (No program is perfect, except the one you write
yourself.) http://www.starrsoft.com/freeware/win95/default.asp

The protocol is Radio Shack proprietary and Don can't release it or his
program source file. You have to contact Radio Shack directly and negotiate
a license.

Oops.

If you post what program changes you want, maybe Don would
consider them.

1) My taste varies from day to day. I usually run stuff like Don's
program from the IDE, so I can change it as I want it changed.
(That's easier than maintaining a dozen slightly different versions.)

2) I doubt that Don would want to change a program so many people are
happy with.

But:

I'd like the ability to move a listing up (or down) over a bank stop.
IOW, if I move the listing in 399 down 1, it should go to 400.

I'd like to be able to copy and paste individual cells, rather than
the entire line. (At other times I'd want to copy and paste the
entire line.)

And how about the ability to directly print all non-zero frequency and
talkgroup entries? (I know I can print the text file, after I format
it.)

Question: Is there any way, in software, to change the frequencies in
the search banks, or are they hard wired?
Old October 17th 04, 10:26 AM
Evan Platt

wrote:

If you need more channels go for the 95.
WAY superior to the 94, don't even cosider the 94

Wow.. Thanks for the hint! The 94 is 119.99, the 95 is 199 with a $50
instant coupon - 149.99.

No brainer!

Evan