Old October 22nd 04, 12:59 AM
Michael

Default Alinco AM Radio

Hi,

Well, I cannot help if I get flamed - or at least some insults, because I
think I might deserve them - but here's my question:

I own an Alinco DJX5 'communications receiver'. I'be been able to receive
everything from Cops to Coroners. (A couple years ago, we had a Medical
Examiner in Toronto that was almost a comedian!) But, I digress....The DJX5
can monitor from 0.1 to 2200MHZ.

Last night, I had to go to work and wanted to listen to the Boston / NY game
while I was on way to wait for the bus. Since my scanner has 'no gaps' I
assumed it would be a cakewalk to dial in the station and I'm all set right?
Nope! Owing to my own stupidity, I didn't bother to have a quick peek in the
manual to see if anything was different when programming a simple Am station
instead os the usual 800 Mhz stuff I usually have programmed. Well, needless
to say, I couldn't get my local Am whci is very powerful on my radio and I'm
certain I did everthing right.

Would anybody be kind enough to tell me where I went wrong? Again, I was in
AM mode, step size was set to 1khz and I tried punching the the numbers
several times. If I'm missing something very obvious - please just let me
know. (Then, kick my ass to Alaska!)

Thanks,
Mike...hiding in a corner...T

Old October 22nd 04, 12:05 PM
Wet Chicken

Also, you might need to attatch an antenna. Some radios (like the Kenwood
TH-F6) use a bar antenna to recieve below a certain frequency, while yours
you might not have that feature.
I am not sure by your email, but you might not have been able to even enter
the frequency. I am not familiar with your radio, but others you have to
enter leading zero(es), or a decimal point to for such a low frequency.
RTFM.

WC

"Barry OGrady" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:59:56 -0400, "Michael" wrote:

[...]

I don't know about that particular radio, but I know than some scanners

are very deaf
at the low frequency end. I had one that could not hear a local AM station

even though
it was transmitting 50 kilowatts and I could see the mast!

Thanks,
Mike...hiding in a corner...T

-Barry
========

Old October 22nd 04, 08:08 PM
Dennis McCandless

wrote:

[...]

Mike,

If you're having a reception problem rather than a frequency input
problem, it's probably the antenna. I have an Alinco DJ-X2000, and
couldn't get ANYTHING in MW/AM with the stock antenna. I attached a
BNC test probe cable that I had lying around to the antenna jack,
hooked one of the the cable's alligator clips to a few feet of hookup
wire, and the stations came in much better. Then I tried my Radio
Shack collapsible whip antenna, extended to the full length, and that
worked even better. Here's the URL for that antenna:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=20%2D006

I guess the stock antennas just aren't designed to perform on the
lower frequencies.

--

Dennis McCandless
Chicago
Old October 22nd 04, 08:46 PM
Michael

wrote:

[...]

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...gory%5Fname=CT
LG%5F008%5F009%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=20%2D006

I guess the stock antennas just aren't designed to perform on the
lower frequencies.

--

Dennis McCandless
Chicago

Thanks all. Yes, I tried enering the freq's starting with a '0', then a
decimal, then a combo and still nothing. However, I was hearing 'something'
in those lower bands, except there was no way to tell if I was on the
correct station. Gonna' try a few experiments as well as your ideas.

Thanks,
Mike T