Old November 21st 04, 09:53 PM
CommCtr1

If I'm shelling out $500.00, LTR sure would be nice...............Along with
WFM and better band coverage.

"Bill Crocker" wrote in message
It definitely does; Continuous Tone Controlled Selective Squelch (CTCSS)

and
Digital Coded Squelch (DCS) decoding. LTR, apparently it does not do, but
then do you need it?

Bill Crocker

"CommCtr1" wrote in message
Thank you sir! I went to their website and looked at the specs., I

noticed
it doesn't do PL/DPL or if it does, it's not listed. I doesn't do WFM,

and
it doesn't do LTR.
So maybe I'll take my chances with the 296D. If there's a problem I'll
send
it back...........

Thanks to all................
"Bill Crocker" wrote in message
Yes, the PRO-96 does 9600.

Bill Crocker

"CommCtr1" wrote in message
Thanks for all the info. Although I've found Uniden service to be
fairly
good. I sent one of my 780's back a month ago and the turn around

time
was
great and unit works better than when I first bought it.
So does the Pro-96 do 9600bps? Thats the most important question at

the
moment.
"Bill Crocker" wrote in message
I've owned both, and I definately prefer GRE's PRO-96! God help

you,
should
you ever have problems with a Uniden, and go to them for any kind of
service!

Uniden... Service? We don't give no stink'in service!

Bill Crocker

"CommCtr1" wrote in message
I'm in the market for a digital scanner and I'm very loyal to
Uniden/Bearcat
for a lot of reasons. I need one that does 9600bps for our local
system,
but
I'm told the Bearcats need some kind of tuning for them to operate
properly
on the APCO25 systems. Can someone fill me in on this?
I'm not a big fan of Radio Shack scanners, I've had a few

and
they
don't impress me at all. My last one was a Pro-91, what a piece of
garbage.
Rx was horrible, programming was a different story. They make the
programming so complex, for something very simple.
I've recently been told the Pro-96 is a better scanner than the
296D,
so
is
this just a personal opinion, or is it actually true.
Any information would be appreciated.

thnx

Old November 21st 04, 10:07 PM
deborah hays

648 Westborough Pl. Near the country club ???

"--
Cardinal Nation - N 38°34'53", W 90°22'32", 680'
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to
visit violence on those who would do us harm"

Old November 22nd 04, 02:38 PM
4phun

If one is shelling out $500 then why would you want a radio you have to
constantly dink the with the audio to hear anything? Many times the
transmision is over before you get it right on those digital systems.

Now with the PRO-96 you just kick back and listen, the radio does it
all automatically as it moves from analog to digital and back again.

Old November 22nd 04, 10:44 PM
CommCtr1

No, I have not! But I need a radio that does what I need too. I not just
buying it for digital. It needs to do everything the 780 does, and more.

Thanks to all for your comments...........

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, "4phun"

on 22 Nov 2004 06:38:38 -0800 spoke:

If one is shelling out $500 then why would you want a radio you have to
constantly dink the with the audio to hear anything? Many times the
transmision is over before you get it right on those digital systems.

You've obviously never used one.

--

The truth is out there,

but it's not interesting enough for most people.

Old November 23rd 04, 07:02 AM
Mike

I have always been a PRO-43 fan but when LAPD went digital I gave up
scanning. A friend who is commercial radio repair guy and general
Motorola freak always carries a Motorola ASTRO Saber to listen to LAPD
and other specific high dollar handhelds for each service he listens
to. Nothing like having the same radio as your local PD for a scanner.
When the PRO-96 came out our sick puppy bought one and shortly after
sold all his expensive ASTRO and other P-25 handhelds. He claims the
PRO-96 works the same and sounds almost as good as the Motorola’s and
also uses the same ?? chip for demodulating or decoding the P-25
digital. He also tried the Uniden equivalent and rejected it completely
because of the crappy audio in digital mode. I just picked up a PRO-96
and am completely thrilled with it. The only thing I miss is the 225 to
400MHz mil band but I still have a PRO-43 that will cover that. If you
want to listen to P-25 digital, I can’t imagine being unhappy with a PRO-96.

Old November 23rd 04, 09:41 PM

In article , Mike wrote:

The only thing I miss is the 225 to 400MHz mil band but I still have
a PRO-43 that will cover that.

I was under the impression that you can use an undocumented PRO-96 "feature"
to open up the 225-400 band. I've also heard that the WIN96 program both
knows how to do this and has a setting to enable it. (I haven't yet used
WIN96 to load frequencies in that band, otherwise I'd know for certain.)

Personally I would not want to program a PRO-96 without using WIN96
(or for that matter, any scanner without using a similarly good program).

- Dan

FS: Uniden BC296D Scanner and Antennas Doug Matulis Scanner 2 September 24th 04 09:34 PM
BC296D vs Pro 96 Steven Lasher Scanner 1 March 14th 04 11:18 AM
FA: FA: Brand new Uniden BC296D and BC795D Radioman Scanner 0 February 28th 04 09:06 PM
Are there better handheld scanners than the Uniden BC296D hnmm Scanner 1 January 7th 04 02:36 PM
ID Tracker Update - V2.8.0 - BC296D and BC796D Support David M. Hitchner Scanner 0 December 19th 03 11:13 PM