Old December 23rd 04, 05:18 AM
bolt thrower

Default Antenna splitter?

I am putting two scanners in my car. Right now I have a Firestik on a
mag mount on the roof. I would like to split the signal so both radios
can use the antenna, but I don't want to lose any signal strength in doing
so. Or at least make any loss very minimal. If I have to add a second
antenna, that would be better for me than losing some dB with a splitter.

Having said that, does a splitter exist that will let me share the
Firestik but have the signal suffer minimal to no loss?

Thanks.

Old December 23rd 04, 06:17 AM
Bushido

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 05:18:48 +0000 (UTC), bolt thrower
wrote:

I am putting two scanners in my car. Right now I have a Firestik on a
mag mount on the roof. I would like to split the signal so both radios
can use the antenna, but I don't want to lose any signal strength in doing
so. Or at least make any loss very minimal. If I have to add a second
antenna, that would be better for me than losing some dB with a splitter.

Having said that, does a splitter exist that will let me share the
Firestik but have the signal suffer minimal to no loss?

Thanks.

http://www.stridsberg.com/prod01.htm

MCA102M

Old December 23rd 04, 02:26 PM
Jeff Multer

The Stridsberg multicouplers are a great product for feeding an antenna signal
to multiple receivers.

But, a second antenna might be a better way to go ... depending on what you are
trying to monitor.

For instance, if you were trying to monitor agencies on VHF, UHF and 800 MHz,
it might be better to use the Firestick and one scanner for the VHF and UHF,
and use the other scanner and an antenna designed for 800 MHz to monitor the
800 systems and channels.

Although the Firestick (and many other antennas) claim to work through 1000
MHz, their performance at 800 MHz and above is often very poor.

I use an 800 pigtail antenna (NMO mount on an "L" bracket) for the local 800
systems, and it is also useable for local VHF / UHF repeaters. Pigtails are
available from radio shops, hamfests and mail order in black and chrome - to go
with the color of the vehicle.

Jeff Multer
Fort Mill, S.C.

Old December 23rd 04, 11:29 PM
User

http://www.stridsberg.com/prod01.htm

MCA102M

Nice. But at $148 I think I'll go with a second antenna

Old December 24th 04, 01:44 PM
Jeff Multer

What is a pigtail antenna?

The typical antenna used in land mobile radio applications has a number of
spiral turns in the center of the element ... similar to the tail of a pig.

And, "NMO" refers to the type of mating / coupler used at the base of the
antenna element.

With an NMO coupler, the antenna element easily can be screwed on or off the
base ... an advantage for going through the car wash, or if you want to switch
elements for particular listening applications.

Jeff Multer
Fort Mill, S.C.

Old December 28th 04, 11:41 PM
Jason n1iic

Adapt it to a cable tv splitter/amplifier, the amp will overcome the losses
and then some. Adjustable ones will give the most flexibility, and either
can be found in the junk drawer or at a yard sale.
The drawback is that they are wideband and will also amplify the bad stuff
i.e. pagers.

Jason