Old March 5th 05, 04:22 PM
Burr

Default Kern County

Morning,

Anybody know anything about kern County going to "Trunked"?

They handed out new radios to the Chine Lake FD and said something about
a "change"!!!

Here's a little story about the storm last night.

Lighting tore us up yesterday afternoon, most of the south part of town was
with out power a few hours and I was out 12 hours.

I took a hit on my transformer on the pole, blew it apart. Nothing
happened to my radios or computers. I have my computers on a UPS so I had
lots of time to shut down gracefully. My radios run on large 12v batteries
so they came out ok, my antennas are grounded and one coil did drop and I
had to replace it this morning.

So it worked. Who would have thought that "I" would get hit out of all
the houses and antennas around here. I went through the motions of grounding
but thinking I would never need it. I use UPS's on my computers, TV and CD
players because of "brown outs". I run my radios on 12v batteries to get
away from the AC hum and normally recharge when I go to bed.

At the time I got hit I had two PC laptops going and one "Big Mac", the
Sat 800 and the BC 895. I ran the radios from 5:30am until I went to bed, I
have two of the biggest batteries that Cosco has, I replaced the D50's that
I used for years and used the Cosco batteries because of price.

When the power came on about 4am I got up and checked to be sure
everything was charging then went back to bed. Something to remember, UPS's
are only good for 2 years. I sell a UPS with every system I install and I
always push for them to change them out in two years. I have also found it
is good to "work" the batteries, I pull the ones down in my motor home every
few months, I "recharge" my car batteries every few months to keep them
toped off, alternators do not top batteries off, they only replace what is
used, """Maybe"""!!!!

OK, here's my report on the power outages. Pick it apart if you want but
it works.

--
Burr
Gurndig FR200, YB400, Sat 650 & Sat 800

Old March 7th 05, 03:53 PM
BWL

Kern County is not going trunked.

They are switching county fire to their old VHF county freqs.
The sheriff channels will remain UHF but with different designations for
the areas of the county etc...
I spoke with a county radio tech about the system changes and he said
that for sure they are not going trunking because it costs too much.
The new radio plan for county fire/sheriff and other county services is
not in use yet. Motorola (the company that the county used to rebuild
the system) is still working out audio bugs and intermod problems with
the new repeaters. If you listen to the VHF fire freqs and UHF
sheriff/county services freqs you can hear Motorola doing "4 count"
testing on sunny days. The tech said that the bad weather has stalled
Motorola's progress because they are having trouble getting to some of
the snowed out repeater sites. The new systems will be much better.
Better audio and stronger signal. The tech said that they turned up the
power considerably and have added many repeaters to fill in areas. How
this info helped. Here is the webpage for the countys radio system plans
etc: http://www.co.kern.ca.us/gsd/communi...sysupgrade.asp
BTW you can get the new freqs and channel designations from the Scanner
Stuff Southern California Frequency Directory. If you still need them
let me know.
Old March 20th 05, 11:50 PM
Paul Hirose

BWL wrote:

BTW you can get the new freqs and channel designations from the Scanner
Stuff Southern California Frequency Directory.

That was a good tip. I never heard of the book before, but I found the
company's web site and ordered one. It arrived quickly and was well
worth the money.

http://www.scannerstuff.com/scfd.htm

--

Paul Hirose
To reply by email delete INVALID from address.