Old March 30th 05, 06:11 AM

Default MI mobile scanner law updating?

It appears the Michigan Legislture (house) has introduced a bill HR
4544 now in Judiciary committee that may eliminate the Michigan State
Police permit provision for one and all ..

While making it illegal to use a scanner during a criminal act. and NOT
asking scanner users to apply for a motor vehicle permit.

Below is a link to the new proposed statute.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...5-HIB-4544.pdf

It would be nice for those interested in this subject to contact the
Michigan state house of representatives and offer opinions or reactions
to the proposed changes.

The Michigan house judiciary committee chairman is William Van
Regenmoter.
at

Thanks

Mark Bajek
Westland, MI

Old March 30th 05, 02:51 PM
Bill Crocker

Thanks for the update Mark! I know you've been involved in this quest for
quite sometime. I'm sure we owe thanks to you for this outcome! I acquired
the permit from the Michigan State Police, but also felt it was unnecessary.
If this passes, it will do much for the hobby!

Bill Crocker

oups.com...

Old March 30th 05, 02:55 PM
PowerHouse Communications

According to what I have read, this bill would finally legalize scanner use
in motor vehicles, thus eliminating the need for a permit. The only thing
that would be illegal would be the use a scanner in the commitance of a
criminal act ("crime"), be it in your home, on foot, on bike, or in a motor
vehicle... Unless there is something hidden within the text that I am not
seeing, this actually looks to be a GOOD thing for those of us living in
Michigan that want (or have) a scanner in our vehicles...

Although, the wording in once again is NOT specific enough, and would leave
us scanner users open to new forms of abuse of the law... What exactly is
deemed as a "crime". That could be anything...

For example, if I have my scanner in the vehicle and I get pulled over for
speeding, I can be fined up to $1000, and/or spend 1 year in jail (plus the
cost of the ticket) for my speeding ticket just because I have a scanner in
my car? Is speeding not a crime? Sounds absurd, but just wait... The way
they abuse the current law, I would not at all be surprised if this actually
happened...

Looks good and bad to me. I like the proposed law, however the word "crime"
needs to be replaced something more specific, and/or descriptive. Like,
felony, or something similar. A "crime" can be anything; littering,
J-Walking, letting your dog crap on someone's lawn and not cleaning it up
(in some places anyway), etc...

oups.com...

Old March 30th 05, 04:09 PM
PowerHouse Communications

While it will make things a lot better for those of us that want to have our
scanners mobile, the wording of the proposed changes still leaves the law
wide-open to abuse. The only difference now is that it will effect
EVERYONE, not just those that want to go mobile...

Who defines what a "crime" is? The same officers that abuse the current
law, that's who. Like I stated in my own reply to this posting, the word
"crime" needs either a detailed definition added to the law, or needs to be
changed to a more descriptive and straight forward word, like "felony", etc.
A "crime" can be anything; from the simplest little speeding ticket or
littering, all the way up to murder.

I know I don't want to be fine up to $1000 or imprisoned for up to 1 year,
or both, for speeding 5 miles-an-hour over the speed limit in a car that
posses a scanner...

"Bill Crocker" wrote in message
Thanks for the update Mark! I know you've been involved in this quest for
quite sometime. I'm sure we owe thanks to you for this outcome! I

acquired
the permit from the Michigan State Police, but also felt it was

unnecessary.
If this passes, it will do much for the hobby!

Bill Crocker

oups.com...

Old March 30th 05, 04:17 PM
Bill Crocker

In the U.S., contrary to popular belief, speeding is not a "criminal act".
It is an infraction. The final bill will most likely spell out "criminal
act", as a felony.

Bill Crocker

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message
[...]

[clipped]

FIGHTING a mobile scanner charge from MN Scanner Guy Scanner 21 November 17th 04 07:38 AM
Mobile scanner laws Geek Scanner 6 June 10th 04 02:07 AM
BOLO STOLEN XTL5000 mobiles here are serials and models john private smith Swap 2 January 6th 04 05:01 AM
a page of motorola 2way 2 way portable and mobile radio history john private smith Policy 0 December 22nd 03 02:42 AM
Great mobile scanner antenna - and cheap ! J999w Scanner 1 July 24th 03 05:05 AM