Old April 1st 05, 12:25 AM
David Starr

Default Michigan 800Mhz digital - which scanner?

The county I'm in will be switching to the 800 MHz digital system the
State Police are using, so I'll be needing a new scanner. Anyone know
which models will work & which won't?

TIA

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Old April 1st 05, 02:45 AM
Bill Crocker

As Jim mentioned in the another post, the Radio Shack (GRE Manufactured),
PRO-96 Hand-Held, and the newly release PRO-2096 Mobile/Base work very well.
In addition to those, Uniden Bearcat BC296D Hand-Held, and BC796D
Mobile/Base work too.

The earlier generation Uniden Bearcats, that also had "Digital" capability,
DO NOT work. Even though they are digital, the baud rate is not high
enough, to be compatible with Michigan's system.

I've owned the Uniden BC796D, and the Radio Shack PRO-96. I think the Radio
Shack PRO-96 was easier to program, and did a better job of converting the
digital signal's audio. On occasion, the Uniden had somewhat of an
electronic sound to it, similar to SSB on shortwave. It has an adjustment
to "tune" the audio quality, but it's not always 100%, and why fool with
that if you don't have to with the Radio Shack models! The Radio Shack
model's MSRP is less expensive as well.

Be advised, when I was using mine, the MSP (Michigan State Police), in
addition to using digital, would enable encryption on occasion! When they
use encryption, you will not be able to hear them! There is nothing on the
market, hardware, or software, that will allow you to decrypt their digital
transmissions. It is also illegal (Felony) to do so. Shelby Township is on
the same system, and soon Macomb County, and the city of Warren will be
joining. It would not surprise me to see them all using encryption more,
and more, rendering any legal scanner equipment useless.

Oakland County is moving to a totally different system called M/A COM
OpenSky. This is a total departure from the digital system that MSP, and
most all others are, or will soon, be using in Michigan. There is no
scanner radio equipment on the market at this time, that is capable of
receiving this system. Even though there may be good reasons for using this
system, the fact that it is a total departure from the chosen "standard" for
Michigan, makes it a very poor choice in my opinion. Should we every
experience a situation on the scale of 9/11, here in Michigan, Oakland
County will be in a world all of their own.

If you intend to use the scanner in your car, in Michigan, be advised,
unless you are in Public Safety, or have a HAM license, you will need a
permit from the MSP to do so. A recent post in the group indicated there
are efforts underway, to remove this requirement, but it still stands for
now, and the penalties are very serious! If you would like an application
to obtain a permit, email me, and I will be glad to send you the form.
There are no special requirements, other than you've behaved yourself, and
haven't committed any serious crimes. It is easy to fill out, and submit,
and is totally free!

Bill Crocker

Old April 2nd 05, 12:13 AM
David Starr

Bill & Jim, thanks for the info; I appreciate it. It's going to be an
odd situation; the county's going digital and the city I'm in (Flint)
will stay with the old system.