Old April 12th 05, 03:45 AM
RSL

Default AOR AR8200 MARK 3 VS PRO-96

I am still looking at many hand held scanner options like the Icom R-20,
Uniden Portable BC296 , also the Radio Shack Pro-96 ( I like this so far)
and the AOR AR8200 Mark 3. I have several AOR radio now like the AR3030 and
the AR7030 Short Wave Receivers. I wanted to get this groups opinion related
to how the Radio Shack PRO-96 and the AR8200 compare?? Other then a $150.00
price difference. Thanks

Old April 12th 05, 04:16 AM
Bill Crocker

They're like apples, and oranges! Two completely different types of radios.
As mentioned before, the PRO-96 has trunk-tracking, and digital
capabilities, whereas the AR8200 does not. The PRO-96 is more of a
"scanner". The AR8200 is more of a communications receiver. I think you
need to buy both, to be totally happy!

Bill Crocker

Old April 12th 05, 02:37 PM
Pat

Likewise. There is no comparison as they are completely different animals.

The AOR unit is a high performance receiver with scanning abilities.
The RS Pro-96 is a trunk tracking scanner with APCO-25 decoding.

I have both and use them for very different applications. I use the AR8200
for band scanning (such as the 902-928 ISM band, etc) as well as a portable
HF receiver. (when used with a wire antenna)
I use the Pro-96 for scanning known frequencies and of course its APCO
abilities.

As the previous poster stated, you would need both to enjoy the best of both
worlds. If however, you don't own any other APCO capable units, I'd start
with the Pro-96 (or a Uniden 796D or the like) to get on the APCO bandwagon
(providing of course there are such services in your area. If you live in a
region where there are no such services, save you money and get something
else.)

Good luck!

Old April 22nd 05, 11:44 PM
johnam ron

I have the air-8200 as well as an air-1000 and an aor-8000

I do like the 8200.....if it does not detect analong/voice on a frequency it
will move on rather than staying parked there....also ther ar ethe optional
expansion cards availalbe. bought mine from a radio place in the UK, I am in
Arizona-usa

--
+ web site: analon.com 888-5-ANALON